Royal Gramma or Purple Dottyback?

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80g cube (32" long)
currently I have 2 clowns, 2 Banggais, and one blenny
I want to add some more fish to a mixed reef tank (no corals yet, will start soon)

I am considering either a purple Dottyback or a Royal Gramma.

In my tank, would one be better than the other?
anyone have any bad experiences with these guys?
I'd like to add more fish beyond one of these guys, but figured this would be next on the list

royaleFork

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my dottyback, even if it's a bit aggressive. There are enough fish in the tank that the aggression is well spread out and the bigger fish can keep in it check.

Never owned a Gramma, but have 3 chalk bass and they are only aggressive in defense.

For color, maybe a dwarf angel of some type as they swim all day and help with algae control. Also, a lot of color comes from corals, so you may get some of what you are looking for there.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one royal gramma, for about ten years now. Sweet fish. Visible a lot, and shows its displeasure with an open mouth display, and that quite rarely. When it eventually dies, I'll likely get another (I like these kind of fish, the ones I never want to not have).

Keep in mind that if you decide to get a dottyback, add it after any other fish that might be a target of territoriality. This holds for any fish addition, really, but especially the potentially nasty ones, and especially the nasty ones that will be pretty hard to net out.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple dottyback, Pictichromis porphyrea, is a very aggressive fish. You should avoid these. However, you should consider getting the Orchid dottyback, Pseudochromis fridmani, which is originally from the Red Sea and now mostly captive bred. This is a beautiful docile fish that you can keep a pair in your tank.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The royal gramma may not be much of a movers either. Mine hangs in, or near its cave 95% of the time. It ventures out during daylight before the lights come on.
I’ve had them behave both ways; I currently own 2 or three, I see two act as a pair and hover in the open, others along with my black cap always hide..
Never owned a Gramma, but have 3 chalk bass and they are only aggressive in defense.
I also have two chalk bass, had three but these form highly visible trios … seems the more the merrier here
However, you should consider getting the Orchid dottyback, Pseudochromis fridmani,
I have one of these also, it has a very different aggression profile from the purple…very

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s cool. How long did you have them for and did they die from old age?
I have a 210 gallon tank with lots of rock work (they were in a 55 gallon before) and I caught a glimpse of the orchid dottyback yesterday. I haven’t seen either the dottyback or the royal gramma for about two weeks so I wasn’t sure they were still with us. Now I think there’s a shot they’re both somewhere still in there!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back