Rubbrmaid Aquaculture

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted an aquaculture tank, but had limited funds. So what I decided to do is build my very own rubbermaid aquaculture system. I've still got some bugs to work out, but so far it seems to be working well. I will keep posting pics as I add to the system.

100_2305.jpg

100_2334.jpg

100_2298.jpg

100_2336.jpg

100_2337.jpg

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a good use for my hydrometer. It's about six inches tall if anybody is wondering how low the eggcrate is. I don't know how low it should be but that is where it is for now.

100 gallon tub
20 gallon sump
Mag 5 return
2x 250w 10K XM Metal Halides
2x 110w super actinics

If anybody has any suggestions Let me know.

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya,

I have a suggestion for ya. Seems like a lot of light is being wasted. Perhaps a modification to the reflector and/or lower the lights?

Cya,
-WD?

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can move the lights up and down with hooks I have on the chain. All of my frags are under compact flourescent and NO T5s. From what I've read, it's better to slowly increase the light. I'm planning on lowering the lights after moving the coral from my other tanks.

How low should I go?

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make one suggestion.... put a second set of lines on the light with slack so if one end lets go - it does not fall directly in the tub, especially if your hands are in there while it happens... looks like that was the only flaw I saw.. the hook on the chains can let go in time by salt or bumping it with your head by accident.

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion. It’s hard to see in the pics but the chain will only let the lights go down about 8 inches from the water. The chain is doubled over and hooked to itself. All the connections are closed with pliers. I don’t know what sort of shock you get from 720 watts of lighting and I don’t plan on finding out :)

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. I would put about 8 inches of sand in the bottom and maybe a sand sifting goby, just to have some bio activity.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back