Ruby emerald (matrix) crab breeding.

TMow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back (2 years ago) I had a pair of ruby matrix crabs. it turned out I had a male and a female. Eventually I noticed the smaller one went to the top of a rock in the aquarium and started a little dance, releasing hundreds of larve into the water. Obvously all the fish in the tank started eating them. I placed the crabs into a new smaller tank and just like clockwork about every 28 days she would release her larve into the water. However I could never keep them alive more than about 6 hours. I was courious if anyone had success in breeding matrix crabs, what to feed them. If they needed micro alge or rotifers, which I never got a chance to try. Any suggestions???

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say find out if you can get little tiny eggs that can flout in the water and see if they eat then. otherwise i would say put in a piece of fish and see if they eat that. but if it eats algae you might want to look in too sea weed. but that is what i would try.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a strawberry crab do the samething in my reef tank. This happened about a month ago at night so I think the larvae had a much better chance. A man that bred blue crab told me I actually have a pretty good chance since they are in a reef tank and not isolated so they will have plenty of food. If I were you id put them back in your tank because the larvae wont survive isolated. I dont know if it will work since if my babies are still alive I wont see them for another month but its worth a try if you arent having luck now

OP
OP
TMow

TMow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragman, the larve are very tiny, maybe a little smaller than the ball in a ballpoint pen. and Mr. E I had them in a 29 gal live rock tank and never saw any new crabs, which got plenty of food. however sense then i have done some research and should have used micro alge or oysters or rotifers. The crabs are no longer with me but i have sense gotten several emerald crabs hoping for a chance of finding a mating pair. was wanting to have some attempts at having some breeding tanks and was hoping to see if anyone had successfully mated crabs.

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you have had any luck yet. You could try to feed the phytoplankton, and rotifers. I know clownfish fri are feed rotifers.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back