Ruby Reef

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have got a black clown and yellow tang in qt right now. The clown has shown signs of brook over the last week. Sloughing white mucus on his sides, flashes just a little but not much. He does have this weird twitch that he does with his head that is pretty drastic. Seems like he is breathing heavily and his mouth is a constant open and close. He also doesn't swim around at all, stays in the same place most of the day now.

I have given him a fresh water bath twice now and they are both on their second round of Prazi. His skin has cleared up in the last 4 days and visually looks great. As of two days ago he has stopped eating and just hangs out. The yellow tang is looking good, eats like a pig, a little shy but not too bad. His color is pretty pale compared to when he was purchased but no signs of anything for him for now.
I cant get my vet to write me a script for Chloroquine phosphate and I cant find any Acriflavine. What I did find and should have today is Ruby Reef's rally and kick ich. Two questions, what is the best way to administer this, dosing whole qt or in a bath? Also should I use this with Prazi? I just dosed 2.5 of Prazi in the 10 gallon qt yesterday.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Rally as a bath for treatment of Velvet with success. Have you seen @Humblefish's guide for velvet treatment? It has steps to use Rally...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

From that post...
Acriflavine (preferred) - Do the bath for 75-90 minutes, but remove the fish immediately at the first sign of distress. Aerate heavily both before & during the bath, and temperature control the water. The following products contain acriflavine: Acriflavine-MS and Ruby Reef Rally. DO NOT mix acriflavine with any other chemicals.

OP
OP
Big B

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this, should have looked before I posted. Thank you much. My plan is to dose my 10 gallon qt with 1.5 ounce of Ruby Reef for 90 min and then transfer them to a clean qt. I will of course do this after a big water change to get rid of the Prazi. Any issues here?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a shipping cooler around, you can do your dip in there. A lot less water to change.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Reef Rally contains acriflavine and it will clear brook provided you follow these instructions:
  1. Give all fish (including the YT) a 75-90 min bath using Rally. Dose anywhere from 2/3 - 1 teaspoon per gallon (it is safe to overdose acriflavine). Temperature control & heavily aerate the bath water.
  2. After the bath, transfer all fish to a clean, sterile QT to prevent reinfection.
A few times I've had to administer a second bath, but just once usually gets the job done. If brook returns following a second bath I would switch to using formalin instead. Formalin is more effective on brook, but it is also a harsher chemical to use.

OP
OP
Big B

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we will see how it goes. Mr clown wasn't looking good this morning. They both were in the bath for just a hair over an hour and a half and seem to take it well. The tang although small and seems a hair shy acts like nothing was or is going on. The clown however has been very lethargic, not moving from his spot, not eating and starting to look pretty skinny. I checked on him this morning and he was a little more active but seemed really blotchy and very pail.

As of right now I don't think there is much to do until he starts eating. I'm trying two different types of frozen, two different flakes and two different pellets. Soaking in garlic and without, nothing seems to interest him.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big B Can you post a photo of the clown? This is post bath, correct?

OP
OP
Big B

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Humble but he expired last night. Not sure what exactly it was, but if I had to guess I would say Brook. The initial symptoms of the sloughing white skin kind of gives it away for me. The first freshwater bath helped for about a day, the second the same. The last few days he quit eating and was getting really skinny and lethargic. The yellow tang is doing great, eating like a pig and getting good color.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Humble but he expired last night. Not sure what exactly it was, but if I had to guess I would say Brook. The initial symptoms of the sloughing white skin kind of gives it away for me. The first freshwater bath helped for about a day, the second the same. The last few days he quit eating and was getting really skinny and lethargic. The yellow tang is doing great, eating like a pig and getting good color.

:(:(:(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sorry for your loss :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back