Sad zoanthids

viper1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my zoas are sad. None of them will open. Most of what I have are called deepwater zoathids. I have a frag of nuclear greens and they are the only ones that are open.The nukes love my tank and are growing. They are all in a 46 bowfront with 4 39wt T-5 lights. All of the tests are normal. I cant find any reason for this. If they have a bug of some kind I cant see it, but I have bad vision. I have moved them a couple times with no luck. Now they are on the sand bed with a very little shade. Every now and then a polyp or two will open but only a few. I also have a few bam bams and they are sad also. When I first got these deepwaters they all opened great for a couple weeks then all of a suddden stopped opening. All other coral like ricordea and LPS,s and other softies are open great. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!!!

Last edited:

dc4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dip all of them in revive just in case there is anything on them and then try dosing vitamin c. Since I have started dosing vitamin c, my zoas are looking greater than ever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you changed your carbon with kent brand at all? they were having a problem with their carbon.

OP
OP
V

viper1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad you reminded me about the vit. c. They sent me a new bottle when I ordered these zoas and told me they needed this and I have never used it before and kind of got behind on my dosing. I bet they will pick right up after a week or so. I really dont see anything on them, but I will dip them to make sure. I always dip and quarantine my coral before I put them in the main tank. Thanks

OP
OP
V

viper1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont use kent carbon, but I use there salt. Anything wrong with there salt? I can have there salt sent to my door 30% cheaper than buying at the LFS.

OP
OP
V

viper1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed with vit. c and so far no luck. I get a few to open but not many. I have about 7 different colonies of zoanthds that will not open. All my tests are fine. They are under T-5s. I have them low with good flow. The funny thing is my nukes are doing great. They are open every day and look good, plus all my other coral is awesome. I have ricordea, duncans, brains, mushrooms, palythoa grandis and they all are doing awesome. Its just 5 colinies of japans deepwater zoanthids and a colony of bam bams that will not open. It is hot here, over 100 degres but I can only keep my tank at 80 degres.

pumarjr

Reef-a-Holic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said that your levels are fine but what are they? post your salinity and other readings so that we can help.

Salinity
Po4
No2
No3
PH
Temp
Mg

Sometimes things just need a little tweaking and then a little time for things to adjust. our tanks benefit from small changes over time, they are not so fond of rapid changes quickly. Also, some Zoanthinds just do not do well in some aquariums, for whatever reason what lives and thrives in my tank may not live in yours even if our tanks we kept the same way.

Last edited:

REEF911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible zoa spiders??? Had these on a frag before got to look close for them. Polyps wouldnt open for nothing till i dipped them 3 times over a month

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back