Safe Beginner Corals?

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard stories of mushrooms eating shrimp/fish lol. Looking for good recommendations for "safe" beginner corals that wont harm fish nor inverts. So far Im creating an isolated rock to add zoas too and a separate rock for GSP. Trying to add some more color and pop!

Tank info:

125 gal
Current USA PRO IC LED
2 eFlux 2100gph wavepumps
Protein Skimmer
Chemipure

Last edited:

SDboatguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size ,lighting, skimmer, lots more info needed. However, be careful with the GSP, while it it looks cool and an isolated rock is good,it will spread and is pain to eradicate ! Montis are fairly easy ,depending on lighting ,etc. But they can grow "too much"as well, so plan accordingly. Good luck

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walked into class once, and my teacher was like "Where's your homework?" I was like "My dog ate it. And then my mushroom coral ate the dog."

I'd not worry about mushrooms. Candy canes are easy, and I am a huge fan of acans. Pretty easy to keep with zoas and mushrooms.

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, and with the GSP... It's a great looking coral, but SDBoatGuy is right... I have a much better coral for you... Go with the branching GSP. It looks cooler, doesn't take over, and you can just frag it when it gets too long.

IMG_3584.JPG

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size ,lighting, skimmer, lots more info needed. However, be careful with the GSP, while it it looks cool and an isolated rock is good,it will spread and is pain to eradicate ! Montis are fairly easy ,depending on lighting ,etc. But they can grow "too much"as well, so plan accordingly. Good luck

Lol oops cant believe i forgot to mention tank info again, but its a 125gal, with the current usa ic pro set up lights and 2 eflux wave pumps 2100gp. As for the GSP, can it grow across sand? or be able to spread to other rocks even though being isolated?

I walked into class once, and my teacher was like "Where's your homework?" I was like "My dog ate it. And then my mushroom coral ate the dog."

I'd not worry about mushrooms. Candy canes are easy, and I am a huge fan of acans. Pretty easy to keep with zoas and mushrooms.

I'm a newbie with corals, I love the colors and look of Acans and Scolys but what would the feeding regimen be like?

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, and with the GSP... It's a great looking coral, but SDBoatGuy is right... I have a much better coral for you... Go with the branching GSP. It looks cooler, doesn't take over, and you can just frag it when it gets too long.

IMG_3584.JPG

woah had no idea about those, about to return my GSP now haha

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main thing is make sure your main 3 are maintained... Calc, Mag, and Alk. if you have fish, they'll feed (the corals) with their ventings (urea and feces). If you want to spot feed, just make sure you are removing what you put in. Run a protein skimmer and a ATS (algae turf scrubber) if possible. YouTube ATS's. There are plenty of DIY's for making them. And I think they are the best way to feed your corals heavily ( a couple times a week), and not ruin the tank.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans don't 'need' fed, but feeding will just increase their growth rate. I feed mine anywhere from 1-3 times per week with just a piece or two of mysis blown at them.

I don't have experience with Scoly's but they're typically fairly pricy for first corals, i'd stick to acans, hammers, chalice, zoas, frogspawn, duncan and trumpet/candycane

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogspawn and the like are real easy to take care of, and feed really well... they won't hurt your fish or inverts, but they will sting other corals, so make sure they are off to the sides, away from zoas and the like.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will consider Acans strongly, next time I go to the LFS I'll bother them too haha. If i keep zoas together would they attack each other?

I'm trying to have a good mix of community corals and fish/inverts

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, zoas are real peaceful... Just wash your hands off real well when touching them... It's no joke. People get sick from them. Not a big deal... Just be mindful. They are a great way to go IMHO. Just don't glue them in, until you get them in a spot where they open up and start reproducing.

SAPPER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only mushroom that is really a fish eater is the Amplexidiscus, its a big mushroom that reaches 12 inches across. You can get really colourful mushrooms Ricordea Yuma/Florida, Rhodactis, Discosoma. Most softies are easy to so I would stay away from non photosynthetic corals. If you want to start with easy NPS corals maybe start with Scleronephthea or Sphaerella would give your tank an unusual look. Also not often seen are the photosynthetic Nephthea corals like the Palau green Nephthea or a nice pink or purple Stereonephthea. With these few and corals listed above by the other guys are all good corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
leathers
mushrooms
palys
xenia
gsp

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check them out for sure. I just do not want anything heavily invasive to the point I cant ever get rid of it. So far what im planning are isolated rocks in the front.

How are Brain Coral?
Browsing through Live Aquaria just to get an idea

curiouser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great story Tedzilla. Love it. LOL. I got in trouble in high school just like I bet you did.

Back