Safe copper levels for new shark

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just test again and now it is over .3. I removed a bag of carbon, and two bags of bio media, replaced the bio with two bags of matrix from one of my reef sumps.

I put a new cuprisorb pouch rated at 60 gallons yesterday yet it is still rising. Going to open the FX 6 and remove any media.

Any other suggestions? And as it was copper power, at what level should I determine this is bad for my shark. I could move him to the DT which doesn’t have any other fish in it, but haven’t fed him yet to know if he is eating.

I do not understand why it is going up as I haven’t changed anything except the water change. The bag of carbon got moved when I put in the new cuprisorb as the older pouch still looked like some was white so I left it in. Does cuprisorb leach the copper back in after a time, should I pull it as well?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Carbon is sometimes implicated in releasing stored copper, I don’t know about cuprisorb. Even still, a water change should reduce the amount of amine chelated copper in the tank by that percentage - if not, then try testing freshly mixed seawater to check for testing errors or malfunctions.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back