Safe Interceptor Dose | Coral Boring Spionid Worms.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been meaning to update this thread but I've been sick as a dog with a respiratory virus, so I apologize.

After a few days I moved all of my fish over into the new system. I didn't really change anything to the new system water, ie skimmer was not running I only added so many new saltwater gallons but did nothing to the existing water. I'm only saying this because there was a vermectin most likely dripping off the rocks that went into the new system. None of the fish are affected and I've got some pretty old fish. My royal gramma is over 10 years old. Needless to say he's doing fine. After a few more days I moved all my snails over I didn't lose any that I could see. And I moved my Scarlet hermit's over and my shrimp and my two serpent Stars, all are doing fine. I even had Rock flower and enemies go through a complete Ivermectin dip unfazed. My bubble tip went through a quick dip no problem.

So my bottom line is, ivermectin is it good treatment for dipping. I would not consider it reef safe by any means or use in a reef tank, but if swapping to a new tank and you want to dip all your Coral, should be fine. But I would definitely plan to move all the coral in one day because of the die off. Then I would wait at least a couple days to move any other fish and inverts after your ammonia Spike has subsided.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I picked up coral boring worms from a vendor here in the UK. The population grew much much faster than any other I have experienced before.

I reached out to a vet here for a prescription of Ivermectin. We had a lengthy discussion and he agreed with the protocol of 1ml per US gallon of 1% Ivermectin (Noromectin in my case).

I started a full tank treatment about 45min ago.

All of my pods, bristle worms, limpets and starfish are dead. The spionid infestation looks dead and they are hanging out of the tubes very limply. Spirorbid worms appear to still be alive.

I have quite a variety of fish in the tank, so far the only one showing distress is an anthia. My wrasse appeared to be in trouble but rebounded after about 15min.

To the person that suspected this may damage flatworms, you deserve a gold star…I didn’t know I had any flatworms. I do, or did.

Ivermectin seems to be incredibly harsh, but I don’t believe this is necessarily a bad thing. Time will tell over the next 24hrs.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I picked up coral boring worms from a vendor here in the UK. The population grew much much faster than any other I have experienced before.

I reached out to a vet here for a prescription of Ivermectin. We had a lengthy discussion and he agreed with the protocol of 1ml per US gallon of 1% Ivermectin (Noromectin in my case).

All of my pods, bristle worms, limpets and starfish are dead. The spionid infestation looks dead and they are hanging out of the tubes very limply. Spirorbid worms appear to still be alive.

I have quite a variety of fish in the tank, so far the only one showing distress is an anthia. My wrasse appeared to be in trouble but rebounded after about 15min.

To the person that suspected this may damage flatworms, you deserve a gold star…I didn’t know I had any flatworms. I do, or did.

Ivermectin seems to be incredibly harsh, but I don’t believe this is necessarily a bad thing. Time will tell over the next 24hrs.
Oh no, you dosed it in your Reef?

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did. I don’t believe that incessantly removing corals to treat something that bores into rock and skeleton is a good way to proceed, that goes without mentioning the speed of reproduction that these things multiply at.

At the 45min mark I have resumed ozone and skimmer.

It is proving difficult to remove from the water column.

This is going to serve as a learning experience, either as a success or as a failure.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

1ml per gallon is a lot. I did 1mL per 10 gallons and that seemed way to much. I don't think we should do more than 1mL per 25 gallons, to be honest. All in all, it doesn't sound like you lost much but your CUC. It will take some time but the system will bounce back. It has been 3 months since I dosed Ivermectin into my 500 gallon system and the corals that survived are now starting to color and grow again.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s start with the good, the bad and the ugly. I am not going to sugarcoat it.

Ugly: Fish have continued to die. The concentration I used is not safe for fish. They enter a paralytic state but will eventually die.

Bad: It is difficult to remove from the water column. A hydrophobic scum gets formed in the skimmer and on the water surface, also along the edges of the glass. I cannot guess how much is actually being removed at this point. Still to be noted as this progresses.

Good: It did what it was intended to, it kills boring worms very very well. My tank became worm soup, I had severely underestimated the amount of worms in the tank. I think there was 5x more than what I had assumed. It killed flatworms, I didn’t know I had flatworms and this is a tank I spend around 2hrs per day staring into. Corals are 100% unaffected, they get annoyed but have bounced back entirely .

So I have a few thoughts on this.
Would I do this again? Yes, but I would remove all fish and snails to a separate body of water.
I firmly don’t believe that dipping individual corals is a viable method of removing boring worms. I had far more dead worms than inhabited my corals lending credence to the worms being everywhere in an aquarium.
The flatworms have surprised and concerned me. I have never seen one in this tank until yesterday.
The loss of fish is self inflicted but still disheartening.

Despite that all, I think ivermectin is going to become a favourite tool for all reef keepers for prophylactic treatment of all new corals.

@Sisterlimonpot
Rich, I can’t tell you if the vermetids I have are dead or not, they were very agitated by the treatment and some appear to be hanging from the tubes but that isn’t to say they are dead. Give me a couple of days and I will let you know if this did kill them. Bear in mind I used a ridiculous concentration of 1ml per US gallon.

To everyone I am very much open to feedback and a discussion on this.

Back