Safe max water change percentage?

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo...unfortunately I've decided I have no other choice than to remove all the stuff in my tank to catch...a...well...yellow clown goby that has managed to take out 3 duncan colonies. Basterd!!!! Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be taking out most of the water and yes I could just put it back in but I normally do 20% changes every week anyway so why not go a bit bigger. What's a safe amount???

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can change 90%+ without issue as long as parameters are matched.

Did you see him eating the duncan? Never heard of them eating anything ever before

OP
OP
RBarth

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He would try and host them which kept them completely ticked and then I finally saw him nipping at the tentacles last night. Everyone he's hosted has eventually died.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see him eating the duncan? Never heard of them eating anything ever before
Agreed 100%.

Only thing clown gobies are known for is laying eggs in acropora, and sucking the slime off them till death.

Never heard of one bothering LPS before, and I have owned several over the years. Only reason I don't still own one is there relatively short life spans(2 to 5 years tops).

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He would try and host them which kept them completely ticked and then I finally saw him nipping at the tentacles last night. Everyone he's hosted has eventually died.
So he was just perching on them and irritating them? Was he just constantly on the duncans?

I only ask because duncans are super hardy, I've had some close for a few weeks before reopening. This is the first time I've ever heard of a clown goby nipping a lps coral of any kind and I'm intrigued. You know if it is a wild caught or captive bred fish?

How long have you had the duncans? I would imagine the fish would have to be on the coral almost constantly for this to happen.

OP
OP
RBarth

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He never leaves them. Ever. He has managed to rub every bit of green skin off of them. Ive had them since December and they have been bullet proof until him. Trust me, i dont want to have to take everything out to catch him but also dont wanna loose another coral for him. No idea of the origins of this guy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220712-084028_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220712-084028_Gallery.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 34

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ducan hosting the goby is not why the coral is dying. Highly unlikely cause of the corals death. Even in your picture, you can see the coral is wide open with the fish laying in the polyps.

Irritating it perhaps, but as with any coral croucher, the coral gets used to it and does not cause it's demise.

I honestly would be looking at different things for the corals demise.

OP
OP
RBarth

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's rarely on top and normally around the stalks. Ok, help me figure this out. Got him 6 weeks ago. He goes immediately to the first colony and that's dead within a month. I remove it and he goes to the other colony...now that thing is on its way out. I'm not saying it's 100% him but that's the ONLY thing that's changed. So I'm just assuming it's him???

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ducan hosting the goby is not why the coral is dying. Highly unlikely cause of the corals death. Even in your picture, you can see the coral is wide open with the fish laying in the polyps.

Irritating it perhaps, but as with any coral croucher, the coral gets used to it and does not cause it's demise.

I honestly would be looking at different things for the corals demise.
I agree w this. My clown goby has never caused an issue and is always in my acro colonies.
20220415_184302.jpg

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's rarely on top and normally around the stalks. Ok, help me figure this out. Got him 6 weeks ago. He goes immediately to the first colony and that's dead within a month. I remove it and he goes to the other colony...now that thing is on its way out. I'm not saying it's 100% him but that's the ONLY thing that's changed. So I'm just assuming it's him???
Could you put the Duncan thats left into an acclimation box or something similar just to keep the fish away for a bit. Might help you say for sure if he's the culprit.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think the colony is on it's way out?

In the pictures you've posted the colony looks happy, and healthy?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He never leaves them. Ever. He has managed to rub every bit of green skin off of them. Ive had them since December and they have been bullet proof until him. Trust me, i dont want to have to take everything out to catch him but also dont wanna loose another coral for him. No idea of the origins of this guy.
Have you tried rearranging the coral? Could be a more simple fix

If you have to catch him. If you're lights are tunable, turn them on all red leds, and then slowly use a net to catch him. Fish have a really hard time seeing the net with the red on.

OP
OP
RBarth

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a rare LPS killer goby I'm in trouble lol!!!!

Attachments

• 20220709_174534.jpg
    20220709_174534.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 23

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back