Saint's Reef Pi decision and build - with 3D printing

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded my tank from my 75 to my 110, I decided to sell of my JBJ Auto Top Off setup for something smaller and more sleek. So with this new goal in mind, i bought a Smart ATO. I hate this thing. I hate it in ways i could not know i could hate a single item. After hours of research, i decided to buy a new ATO setup on BRS. I was talking to a friend about it and was bouncing the idea off of him as he is in the market for one as well.

After a brief 20 minute conversation, we assembled a new Amazon shopping list of Pi supplies. It turns out, i am able to buy enough material for two "complete" Reef Pi systems for a couple dollars more than the single ATO i had in mind...

Today I hit the "buy now" button and thought i would start a thread with its progress. For now, he is drawing the designs in his system (3D printer) and we are waiting on the parts... But here we go:

Ordered:
1) White PLA
2) Photoelectric Water sensors
3) 8 channel board
4) nine to nine connectors
5) Canakit ras pi power supply
6) SD card
7) Temp sensor
8) Male plugs
9) Power socket plug panel screw mount

Building:
1) 16 outlet power module with 8 controlled outlets and 8 always hot (debating wiring in a toggle button on the last 8)
2) Mounts and hanging system for the cables

I will post some pics up whenever items start moving in the process. I hope this thread intrigues and inspires some folks out there.

More to follow/

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple crude drawings as every new thread should come with pictures right?

We are designing a modular box that will house all of the wiring and boards within it, that will "snap" together to make a singular unit. The box will be controlled via tablet or phone and ensure simple tasks such as "water change" will control the outlets needed to do what we want.

Of course we are adding more than just top off, as this will also track temp (so i can ditch my DA RKL and most likely be setup for 2 part down the road.

b3ae79fff1b2a063920889322dfaaf1b.jpg

muhteeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rough idea of layout. I will have to do all of this in Fusion360 this week.

• Modular design. 6" x 6" sections that fit together (since I am limited to 200mm x 200mm print size).
  • Left outlets will be controlled by reef-pi, right outlets will be always on.
  • The logo area will be a set size, and accept a logo that can be printed and glued in place.
  • The input area will be a set size and use a slide in faceplate to hold I/O connectors.
  • I will TRY to separate AC/DC wires as space allows. I will route top AC, bottom DC... mostly.

Capture.JPG

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, following along.

I did some very rudimental fire resistance testing and while PLA didn't do badly, PETG was a bit better so if you can print in PETG for the electronics box that would be my recommendation :)

I am still going with PLA but that is because I did my fire test after I printed the PLA boxes haha but if I ever redo my reefpi I will use PETG for sure

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, following along.

I did some very rudimental fire resistance testing and while PLA didn't do badly, PETG was a bit better so if you can print in PETG for the electronics box that would be my recommendation :)

I am still going with PLA but that is because I did my fire test after I printed the PLA boxes haha but if I ever redo my reefpi I will use PETG for sure

I saw that test :D I loved the data point versus the "world may burn down" type unsupported information, thank you! That said, we decided to move forward with PLA. Not enough known risk or unknown variables to warrant the change versus fire risk for us. Solid wiring with thought out load use and placement feels inherently safe. Much like those who burn up power strips, who is at fault? But that said, i always encourage people to follow their gut if they researched the issue. Thankfully, you did that for me :D

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that test :D I loved the data point versus the "world may burn down" type unsupported information, thank you! That said, we decided to move forward with PLA. Not enough known risk or unknown variables to warrant the change versus fire risk for us. Solid wiring with thought out load use and placement feels inherently safe. Much like those who burn up power strips, who is at fault? But that said, i always encourage people to follow their gut if they researched the issue. Thankfully, you did that for me :D
Yeah it was a rough test but it gave me enough piece of mind that while PLA isn't quite as resistant as PETG, it's not going to keep me up at night :)

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rough idea of layout. I will have to do all of this in Fusion360 this week.

• Modular design. 6" x 6" sections that fit together (since I am limited to 200mm x 200mm print size).
  • Left outlets will be controlled by reef-pi, right outlets will be always on.
  • The logo area will be a set size, and accept a logo that can be printed and glued in place.
  • The input area will be a set size and use a slide in faceplate to hold I/O connectors.
  • I will TRY to separate AC/DC wires as space allows. I will route top AC, bottom DC... mostly.

Capture.JPG

Love the layout of the outlets. It will give you lots of room for bulky wall wart plugs.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saintsreturn - unrelated to this build; I have some reef-related 3d print files. Things like a full protein skimmer, kalk stirrer, light hangers, outlet cover, bulkhead wrench, 2in reactor, etc... If you would like me to share them with you just PM me a good email address. I ask for the address because 3d files cannot be uploaded on r2r.

Now back to the regularly scheduled build...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back