Salifert or nitrate???

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tired and I'm just going to ignore that cuz there's NO WAY I have 100ppm+ nitrate, like no way I don't believe my test kits I'm just gonna throw them away I guess?? I test my 6 gallon tank for nitrate often and for some reason I've never seen lower than 25 mg/l (ppm) nitrate in my tank, I feel like salifert is just testing literally everything in my tank exept nitrate, like pH that said 7.4 I literally laughed at that result,
@starfishguy869 had the same problem I've seen but they said "water changes" I ain't doing water changes I literally have done 25% EVERYDAY in the past, but that's too much, I did everything I could, Macro algae, vodka, waste away, water changes, nothing else can help at this point... But some say that I have a small tank! Yes I agree but I can't do anything about it until 3 months when we move to a bigger home!
20240410_175802.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do your tank inhabitants think? If they look good then why worry

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do your tank inhabitants think? If they look good then why worry
That's kind of the problem I ignore them because they look good but I need to be prepared for anything in the future and know if my test kit tells the truth and if someone had/has the same problem

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a hanna checker and you’ll know.
Oh so that's a Hanna checker?! I thought it was some other lab test kit, the problem is that they're too expensive and I almost never order online so I prefer to find any electronic checker, especially pH

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely agree with Idech! I know they are a bit pricey, but soooo worth the money. Totally eliminates the guess work and trying to color match. They are just awesome.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a hanna checker and you’ll kn
Oh so that's a Hanna checker?! I thought it was some other lab test kit, the problem is that they're too expensive and I almost never order online so I prefer to find any electronic checker, especially pH
Then get an API nitrate test kit. They’re not very precise, but you’ll get an idea if 0, 20 ppm or more.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a hanna checker and you’ll kn

Then get an API nitrate test kit. They’re not very precise, but you’ll get an idea if 0, 20 ppm or more.
I think api isn't there in France, but I see aqua forest, JBL, tetra, Red Sea and another brand that I forgot the name BUT
I absolutely agree with Idech! I know they are a bit pricey, but soooo worth the money. Totally eliminates the guess work and trying to color match. They are just awesome.
I just realized that those Hanna checkers work fast and never end (I got brainwashed from the normal tests) which makes them worth alot, I'll try my hardest to get it

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think api isn't there in France, but I see aqua forest, JBL, tetra, Red Sea and another brand that I forgot the name BUT

I just realized that those Hanna checkers work fast and never end (I got brainwashed from the normal tests) which makes them worth alot, I'll try my hardest to get it
Best place to buy them is Bulk Reef Supply

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I can't it's in dollars and the delivery is probably months because of where I live, only my uncle can get that thing but it'll take 3-4 months
Ahh, well I hope you can find them over there because they really are awesome. I will never use anything but them for the main testing parameters.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is close enough tbh . I've tested my salifert against a Hannah and it was off by 5ppm . I put that down to my eyes . Api I wouldn't even bother lol. A quick question if the Hannah comes back @100 ppm you gonna disbelieve that also ?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, well I hope you can find them over there because they really are awesome. I will never use anything but them for the main testing parameters.
I'm just gonna get nitrate and pH because abandoning my whole working salifert collection would be sad, I'm going to Poland in a week and they have literally everything there even randomly selling fish or spiders in the middle of the city, I probably won't find Hanna but I'll see if it's possible

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is close enough tbh . I've tested my salifert against a Hannah and it was off by 5ppm . I put that down to my eyes . Api I wouldn't even bother lol. A quick question if the Hannah comes back @100 ppm you gonna disbelieve that also ?
I know this will not be possible but I would have 2 options
- 100% water change
- Keep that nitrate forever and stare at my test results like this
640px-Thomas_C._Lea_III_-_That_Two-Thousand_Yard_Stare_-_Original.jpg

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just gonna get nitrate and pH because abandoning my whole working salifert collection would be sad, I'm going to Poland in a week and they have literally everything there even randomly selling fish or spiders in the middle of the city, I probably won't find Hanna but I'll see if it's possible
There is nothing wrong with Salifert. I have several that I still use. I just use Hanna for what I call the big 4- Nitrate, Phosphate, Alkalinity, and PH. Everything I use Salifert.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%

Back