OP
OP
Benny Morosco

Benny Morosco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just adjusted my tank water to 35 on my calibrated refractometer and then used the tank water to calibrate the Apex salinity/conductivity probe. Been pretty accurate ever since. I would never use the probe for anything important, more just a good read of short term issues like ATO malfunctions.
Can you give more detail with that?

OP
OP
Benny Morosco

Benny Morosco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B9D4BA31-FCC8-4EFD-A72E-F18903425E36.jpeg Cycle has begun ammonia on the rise!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this is weird I tested my water with reafactometer and it is 30 1.024

What does that mean? Seawater at 30 ppt does not have a specific gravity of 1.024. It is more like 1.0226.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't fluctuations in temp effect salinity?

No. It may impact some (not all) measurement methods, but not the actual salinity.

Certainly, folks need to understand how the method they are using responds to temperature and whether it is automatically corrected or not.

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give more detail with that?
It's quite simple. First get your aquarium water to 35ppt using a well calibrated refractometer. Then go through the normal calibration routine and instead of using calibration fluid, use your aquarium water. Since doing this, and turning on temperature compensation, I've found to probe to be stable.

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1CB70E4A-AC0C-4CEB-83B0-0EC5DDB9267C.jpeg

Looks like a EKG this is driving me crazy! Lol
Do those pulses correspond with your heater/chiller turning on and off. Overlay temperature and see if the deflection point correspond.

You can enable Temperature Compensation in the advanced tab of the salinity probe. I set TC factor to 2.2 and that's about right for me. Mine still fluctuates a few tenths here and there, but it's good enough I can see major changes or trends.

OP
OP
Benny Morosco

Benny Morosco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do those pulses correspond with your heater/chiller turning on and off. Overlay temperature and see if the deflection point correspond.

You can enable Temperature Compensation in the advanced tab of the salinity probe. I set TC factor to 2.2 and that's about right for me. Mine still fluctuates a few tenths here and there, but it's good enough I can see major changes or trends.
Thank you!!

OP
OP
Benny Morosco

Benny Morosco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would say yes!!
0C823216-9A10-4003-8EAB-700FFA17B193.png

OP
OP
Benny Morosco

Benny Morosco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge rookie mistake I can not believe! I used a refactometer that I never calibrated! Yep just a dumb move I had thought I did it .. now it’s calibrated so it was the human error!

Back