Salt without NaCl - a problem

Waldek M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dispense full balling in the form of dissolved CaCl, NaOH powders and NaCl-free salt from Preis. However, I noticed that when using salt without NaCl, a brown deposit appears on the sand, and when I stop using it, it visibly disappears. Will stopping dosing permanently disturb the ionic balance that so many people talk about and observe, which may lead to the destruction of the tank? I will also add that I also dose TM A- and K+ elements, and I also do constant water changes every week in the amount of about 8% with TM Pro Reef salt. I don't use Balling in large amounts yet, +-20ml/day. The main cast are LPS corals. Everything is growing nicely, but I have been breeding for 14 months and populating the aquarium with small strains, so they are not large colonies yet.

OP
OP
W

Waldek M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the brown is. Do you think it is an organism, such as diatoms, or a chemical precipitate, such as iron?

is it only in lit areas?
I really think it's a brown and red dino. I'm trying to get a microscope to be sure.
Didn't even think about iron. I give KZ one or two drops a day.
Diatoms, probably not. I always check the water before changing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it may be because the part C is alleviating the limitation of a trace element. That’s not usually a good way to control pests because it may be limiting organisms you want to grow.

OP
OP
W

Waldek M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it may be because the part C is alleviating the limitation of a trace element. That’s not usually a good way to control pests because it may be limiting organisms you want to grow.
So you can't give up part C and look for another way to get rid of sand browning?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can't give up part C and look for another way to get rid of sand browning?
Not sure what you are asking, but there’s no way that properly made Balling Part C is causing sand browning that won’t also happen with any other method that will add trace elements, such as a water change, a trace rennet supplement, All for Reef, etc.

I think it is most likely caused by something else, but stopping it fir a while, seeing it go away, and then restarting with a different method is a fine test.

OP
OP
W

Waldek M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you are asking, but there’s no way that properly made Balling Part C is causing sand browning that won’t also happen with any other method that will add trace elements, such as a water change, a trace rennet supplement, All for Reef, etc.

I think it is most likely caused by something else, but stopping it fir a while, seeing it go away, and then restarting with a different method is a fine test.
So I'll ask again, will stopping the dosing of the C balling part lead to the death of the tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'll ask again, will stopping the dosing of the C balling part lead to the death of the tank?

Death, no, not in a few weeks. It is not optimal long term.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 21 21.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 36 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back