Saltwater Guppies?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a couple of black sailfin mollies for a little bit in my marine tank but both ended up dead (between flow and other issues, I think it was just too much for them). I may try some guppies in my sump at some point but I don't think I would do it in my DT.

RustyBuckets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a couple of black sailfin mollies for a little bit in my marine tank but both ended up dead (between flow and other issues, I think it was just too much for them). I may try some guppies in my sump at some point but I don't think I would do it in my DT.
Why would you put them in the sump?
Thanks!

Krowmannsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, if I chose to keep them in a reef I would have to rule out some of my favorite saltwater fish, but ruling out those fish allows me to keep more corals. This hobby is all compromise. Do you think wrasses (not the big shrimp eating ones but something like flashers or fairy's or leopards?) could make good tank mates for them? I know they're pretty much an ideal match for mandarins, being the graceful little fish they are, and providing a consistent food source.
I feel like most marine fish wouldn't bother a group of 6 or 8 guppys floating at the top. Since guppys rarely go down to the bottom I doubt Any other fish would attack them unless they could fit in thier mouth

Love Me Reef 22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no such thing as wasting people's time with discussion!! Discussion is goooood. I started breeding guppies 20 years ago for my seahorses. Just remember they are a freshwater food item and don't contain the correct fats for saltwater fish.

They don't have as many babies in saltwater as they do when they are in the freshwater. I found pretty much everything would eat them. They were a popular snack. I now use them to convert new fish from live food to taking frozen.
This is true. Both Mollies and guppies can live in saltwater tanks. 100 to150 % salinity for both of them. They prefer 100% saltwater over freshwater. I have known this since 2005 when I had them in my saltwater tank. They do great with clownfish. I live in Mexico now and it is almost impossible to get saltwater fish online.

Love Me Reef 22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any evidence of freshwater ich surviving in saltwater? Is QT necessary for these?

Breeding guppies in my office tank would be great. I've got a Multibar trio coming in that may prove challenging to feed.
no ich will not survive in saltwater. It takes about 3 or 4 days to die. That is why so many mollies get ich in freshwater. They belong in saltwater and freshwater just stresses them out.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back