Saltwater start up - Do I really need all this?

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a running used setup with name brand equipment. You can easily sell lots of the higher end equipment replace it with more budget friendly stuff. This helps recoup most if not all of the cost lots of times. Yes it’s a lot of work breaking down running systems systems and it’s a trial by fire. But, all the miscellaneous equipment that comes with a used setup is a huge savings. Just think, you can buy budget lights or a used powerhead to save a couple hundred. But no one is selling the mass amount of small things you’ll need and have to buy at $5-20 a piece on Amazon. Don’t underestimate the cardboard box of stuff that comes with it!
Never do :face-with-hand-over-mouth: thats how I got a 1.5 year old fluval flex 32.5 gallon with stand with heater/startup chemicals/rocks/etc. for $200. I am the queen of finding bargains and I willnever stop with my hunt

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I may do a live rock start if I do start from scratch.

So far, yes, I found someone who is selling their 20 gallon with livestock/lights/everything for $400 but its 2.5 hours away and I am still waiting for pictures because what they show isn't showing what sort of filtration they have and what to expect. It has pulsing xenia, zoas, mushrooms and 1 clown (I see 2 but one may have passed) as well as pixi mini pro lights, stand, filter, and heater. I also already know I have to rehome their blue faced angelfish because they grow a lot and i am not sure why they sold this person a fish that needs a 200+ gallon tank..

The main complaint people have with dry rock starts is the ugly phase seemingly never ends. You'll hear about people who started with LR and experience ugly phases too..

Once you get those pics, might be a good idea to post them up here for more experienced reefers to help you gauge if it's worth it or nah.

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main complaint people have with dry rock starts is the ugly phase seemingly never ends. You'll hear about people who started with LR and experience ugly phases too..

Once you get those pics, might be a good idea to post them up here for more experienced reefers to help you gauge if it's worth it or nah.
8f374742-1696-486c-ab5f-f34dcd1a2330.jpg

So far this is the only image I have which is listed. I don't know where the filtration is, if it's a sump or not, and again you see the 2 clowns but only 1 is listed as included so not sure why that is.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8f374742-1696-486c-ab5f-f34dcd1a2330.jpg

So far this is the only image I have which is listed. I don't know where the filtration is, if it's a sump or not, and again you see the 2 clowns but only 1 is listed as included so not sure why that is.
Looks to be a standard tank with a hob skimmer and canister filter.. not a bad deal honestly if you’re just starting out. Once the bug bites you’ll want a overflow and a sump and all sorts of goodies lol..

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be a standard tank with a hob skimmer and canister filter.. not a bad deal honestly if you’re just starting out. Once the bug bites you’ll want a overflow and a sump and all sorts of goodies lol..
sump is very intimidating. canister filter makes sense now, especially with the tubs in the back.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The bug... yep I'm about 8 months into this hobby and am desperately trying to figure out how I can get a system with an overflow and a sump in my apartment. I'm not allowed to have more than 30 gallons of water, I guess the compromise would be an AIO system but sumps are so cool haha

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump is very intimidating. canister filter makes sense now, especially with the tubs in the back.
Nothing intimidating about it at all… more water volume and some where to hide all your equipment. I’d say keep your eyes open a better deal will pop up most likely.. I picked up a 40 gallon breeder drilled with sump, custom stand every test kit and additive you can imagine, pumps, power heads etc for $300… I sold the tank and sump and kept everything else and broke even lol.

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing intimidating about it at all… more water volume and some where to hide all your equipment. I’d say keep your eyes open a better deal will pop up most likely.. I picked up a 40 gallon breeder drilled with sump, custom stand every test kit and additive you can imagine, pumps, power heads etc for $300… I sold the tank and sump and kept everything else and broke even lol.
I am looking specifically for 20 gallon :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: but ill keep my eyes peeled

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know ;) luckily I live very close to LFS so I can always run down to the store

the problem is you don't know something is wrong until you see its wrong.
with heaters, it takes time to raise temp again once it dropped.

So by the time you notice your heater went kaput, unless you have an apex or some monitoring hardware, it will be too late.

I would also recommend this guy.
Kactoily - Monitor

Unless you want to buy a hydros or a apex... although if ur serious i would suggest you getting a hydros or apex, as they can be moved to the next system.

NO... don't...
Canisters are more headaches then worth in a reef system.

If you want a mechanical filtration, get a seachem Tidal.
Seachem Tidal 55

Canisters in reef is a phosphate magnet... they are also a pain to clean compared to the HOB.

and lastly the HOB can double as refugium with some slight mods, so you can grow chaeto in it.

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. Is it a cube? I have some equipment I can ship out that I used for a price of course

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the angel is an imperator, not a BF. Not that it matters other than a BF would of brought you more dollars at the fish store. Still looks like a good price

Merry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals, 2 clowns, invertabretes. I am thinking of getting a cheaper setup (not AIO) and maybe forgoing a stand for the time being? I am also looking into people rehoming their saltwater setups. I found a nice one with all fish/coral/items for $400 although will need to rehome their blueface angelfish (whoever sold him that fish didn't tell him it needs a 200+ gallon tank). I know maintenance will be high up on the list but luckily I don't spend my money on anything besides bills, food and pets (no rent for the win) so owning another tank (and possibly rehoming my smaller freshwater so I go back to 2) will be financially maintainable.
This is just me but I don't think I'll ever do another pair of clowns in my tank again. I have two Biocubes (28 gallon, 32 gallon). Both of my tanks had a pair of clowns, in the 28 one clown died and it was very difficult to add a second clown till they finally became a pair (actually tricked her by using a very small clown I kept separate for quite awhile). In my 32 one of the clowns died and I have tried several times to add a second fish without success, in fact I'm not able to add any fish to the tank. I've tried several different fish without success and I simply can't try again to watch a fish be killed by this clown. Short of trashing the clown I seem to be doomed to a tank with one nasty clown. I have tried rehoming the clown but no one, including the LFS will considering taking the killer fish. It actually killed a Coral Beauty (my favorite fish) after they were in the tank together over a year... No more damsel clowns for me ever...

Last edited:

Merry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I do not have an ATO or skimmer on either of my tanks. I realize they are small and have lids which is very helpful for preventing evaporation.

Elmo18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple is best, especially if you’re new to saltwater (but not to aquariums). After being out for more than a decade and lighting has changed so much (LEDs), I was unsure, and just stuck to T5s when I restarted in mid-2022. Many choices here.

Best of luck and it’s been fun back in it!

Elmo

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I decided to go with a secondhand Fluval Evo as my first tank :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: the tank had everything (extras/ai prime/ every type of liquid feeder/updated pump/skimmer/etc.) plus I got 3 extra tanks (fluval spec I gifted to a friend/hospital tank/extra cube). I ordered all my filtration media and will be starting my cycle hopefully this week! Thank you everyone for the insight!

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good flow is 100% required for corals and even keeping algae reduced. A very good wavemaker/powerhead is not a waste of money by any means. The Tunze is highly rated and of course the vortechs. The higher tech ones that you can monitor from your phone and control flow rates are excellent. My MP20 is on the fritz so I am going to get the tunze controllable powerhead rated at up to 2500gph for my 40 breeder. I can turn it down to 70% speed and I figure it will keep the motor happy as well. Plus keep a higher flow powerhead in case of tank upgrade some day. Think long term.

$60 might be enough for test kits but id say that number is closer to $100 unless you found an amazing sale.
Dont forget a well made refractometer. I just got a digital and I have a backup.

ATO- ive used Tunze Osmolator and it is the best based off my own experience and reviews.

Heater X2 on a controller. Im just getting back into the hobby after many years away and I never used a controller on my heaters. Apparently I got very lucky. I am probably going to get an inkbird.

Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back