Sand bed Siphoning?

ajwalker261985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv just syphoned my sand bed to get rid of some horrible red algae growth growing there.

once I'd finished obviously the water level dropped so I just poured the excess water straight back in,that's cool right as the skimmer will clean the water right up and won't effect the SG right?

Also my lfs said that this red algae isn't a problem for now and that it's just a phase my tank is going through but any thoughts?here is a pic before I syphoned it out.you can see it at the front middle.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372258727.782923.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running?
How many hours are the lights on each day?
When you siphoned the water returning excess I would try to avoid. If all of the dirt has been removed during the siphoning process I would just throw it away. Normally I would just add some new saltwater to the aquarium. It would be a mini water change.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running?
How many hours are the lights on each day?
When you siphoned the water returning excess I would try to avoid. If all of the dirt has been removed during the siphoning process I would just throw it away. Normally I would just add some new saltwater to the aquarium. It would be a mini water change.

I agree about changing the water. There's never any harm in adding new water IMO. I think water changes are critical.

12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats Cyano Algae, and it can be a problem. What kind of water are you using? What is your phosphate reading? Excess nutients will cause it to grow.

OP
OP
ajwalker261985

ajwalker261985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah,my tank has been running for 5 weeks with lights on 12 hours a day and nothing in tank but live rock.because nithing in the tank obviously there were plenty of excess nutrients.using RO water and I would normally top back up with fresh seawater but I didn't have any to hand.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back