OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some equipment photos that I promised a few weeks ago ...

My Reactor Table:

ReactorTable.jpg

My H&S A250 2x1260 Skimmer:
Skimmer.jpg

My Sump set-up directly behind the tank:
Sump.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome progress Sara. looking forward to seeing it all put together. one day, in the far future, I'll have a build like this. ;)

OP
OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Nice fish room Sara. Looks like you can run a public aquarium off that...:bigsmile:

Thanks! You are seeing only about 1/3rd of it. The dimensions are 10'x21', so I have lots of room in there!

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very clean fish room. I wish I had a tank big enough to call a 183G a downgrade. Lucky you. How do you like the deltec reactors and what made you go with them over any other brands?

OP
OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im jealous. Nice set up going on there.

Thank you very much!

That is a very clean fish room. I wish I had a tank big enough to call a 183G a downgrade. Lucky you. How do you like the deltec reactors and what made you go with them over any other brands?

LOL, I've been known to vacuum the floors in there and then wash them ;)

I actually really like the Deltec Reactors. For Kalk, I've run 2 other brands with Maxi-jets and I was not pleased with them, but I love the stir bar that the Deltec has. For the Media reactors, I do really like controlling the flow to each reactor and how they are plumbed. I had tried the BRS ones and I didn't care for those at all so I added a 2nd reactor for the carbon. I'm trying to get a 3rd one to run bio-pellets, but the size I want has not yet hit the states :(

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually really like the Deltec Reactors. For Kalk, I've run 2 other brands with Maxi-jets and I was not pleased with them, but I love the stir bar that the Deltec has. For the Media reactors, I do really like controlling the flow to each reactor and how they are plumbed. I had tried the BRS ones and I didn't care for those at all so I added a 2nd reactor for the carbon. I'm trying to get a 3rd one to run bio-pellets, but the size I want has not yet hit the states :(

That's what she siad....sorry had to..

What is the stir bar?

Have you tried the NextReef reactors? They look similar to your deltec, but are cheaper. Add a ball valve to the plumbing and you are good to go. They make a few different sizes to.

OP
OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what she siad....sorry had to..

What is the stir bar?

Have you tried the NextReef reactors? They look similar to your deltec, but are cheaper. Add a ball valve to the plumbing and you are good to go. They make a few different sizes to.

LOL, funny!

There is a motor mounted on top of the reactor and powers a bar inside to stir up the Kalk slurry rather than hit it with a powerhead via the other types of reactors.

I'll have to check out the NextReef reactors as an option. I looked at the Vertex and the way they are set-up with the inlet and outlet would not work with fitting on the reactor table well. I already have a manifod with valves for all the reactors, so I can control the flow there. Thanks for the suggestion!

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a motor mounted on top of the reactor and powers a bar inside to stir up the Kalk slurry rather than hit it with a powerhead via the other types of reactors.

I'll have to check out the NextReef reactors as an option. I looked at the Vertex and the way they are set-up with the inlet and outlet would not work with fitting on the reactor table well. I already have a manifod with valves for all the reactors, so I can control the flow there. Thanks for the suggestion!

Deltec really goes all out when it comes to most of their products don't they. That is such a simple idea to fix a common problem.

I love my NextReef reacor. Works well for my needs.

OP
OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my NextReef reacor. Works well for my needs.

So I just Googled that reactor and they still use thumb screws on the lid ... I'll pay $$$ more to get a product without them as I hate those with a passion!

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just Googled that reactor and they still use thumb screws on the lid ... I'll pay $$$ more to get a product without them as I hate those with a passion!

LOL, I love and hate the thumb screws, but I don't have a single leak or change the media in the reactor often so it doesn't bother me having to loosen a few screws. I kinda like the look of the screws actually. :) To each his own.

OP
OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I may have to break down eventually and consider it since I have the pellets and no reactor and no real outlook on an arrival date. I think Avast makes one too, so I'll have to see the reviews given on both reactors with bio-pellet users here soon.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I may have to break down eventually and consider it since I have the pellets and no reactor and no real outlook on an arrival date. I think Avast makes one too, so I'll have to see the reviews given on both reactors with bio-pellet users here soon.

Sara,
I run my EcoBak pellets in a Vertex Zeo reactor. I don't know if in sump is an option for you, although I imagine these can be run out of sump. I love it cause it has the plunger and I can shake the pellets up every once in awhile. Also when I add more pellets all I have to do is pull the entire plunger out of the reactor carry it over to the sink, unscrew two screws to take the lid off and I am good to go. I just moded the top and bottom with the needlepoint plastic mesh as the holes were too big.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sara, couple of questions if you would. I have Deltec equipment also and that seems like a lot of carbon to be running. Do you always fill it up and how often? Also, do you use rowaphos in your gfo reactor. I usually use about a quarter of the amount you show. Maybe I need to run more, but last time I added 500 ml to my reactor, some of my sps died, now I only use around 250 ml for about 6 weeks before I change it. Iusually change my carbon every ten days or so.

reef_gurl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the dimensions of your tank. I'm hoping to upgrade mine soon to a deep dimension 120. I like when a tank looks proportional

OP
OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sara,
I run my EcoBak pellets in a Vertex Zeo reactor. I don't know if in sump is an option for you, although I imagine these can be run out of sump. I love it cause it has the plunger and I can shake the pellets up every once in awhile. Also when I add more pellets all I have to do is pull the entire plunger out of the reactor carry it over to the sink, unscrew two screws to take the lid off and I am good to go. I just moded the top and bottom with the needlepoint plastic mesh as the holes were too big.

I was looking at the Vertex reactors and the inlet and outlet were facing opposite directions and would not work on my table. I'd prefer an out of sump one as well. Do you happen to have a link or a pic of yours?

OP
OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sara, couple of questions if you would. I have Deltec equipment also and that seems like a lot of carbon to be running. Do you always fill it up and how often? Also, do you use rowaphos in your gfo reactor. I usually use about a quarter of the amount you show. Maybe I need to run more, but last time I added 500 ml to my reactor, some of my sps died, now I only use around 250 ml for about 6 weeks before I change it. Iusually change my carbon every ten days or so.

Do you have the FR509's as well? I change out my carbon and gfo every 3 weeks. I don't use the Rowa brand and typically use the high capacity gfo from Bulk Reef supply. I had run out and bought some of the standard cheaper gfo, so I put a tad bit more in the reactor than usual. I've got the good stuff coming tomorrow, so I'll take the level down about an inch when I run that again. I honestly have never measured the ml to see how much I should be using for the roughly 400G system I'm running. For carbon I run the BRS Ligonite type.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 107 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 118 47.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.2%
Back