Satan's Breath

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am actually going to order a few things from Zoanut when I have the money too. My husband just gave me 75. to order zoos for my birthday. I was just hoping to get a good trading material. I am sorry to start such a ruckus.

No ruckus, we can all disagree here and still get along....

As a matter of fact, now I need that PALY!! :hammer:

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought from Dustin also.
Items are very nice and well packed... great vendor.

Prices of "Collector Zoos/Palys" are based on supply and demand.
Remember if someone is willing to pay it- it gets sold.

My local LFS charges $ 80.00 for a frag of 20 eagle eye zoos, who would pay it..
Well every week he turns those puppies over.. Someone is buying them..!

Last edited:

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies. I wasn't trying to bash anyone. I just feel that that is a bit much for those palys for a single polyp.

sailfin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with 143gadgets, but the sad part is we are driving the prices. If people out there would refuse to pay such high prices it would help keep them in check. The naming of the corals don't help either. If it is unique without a name maybe 10-15 bucks a polyp max. Unique with a name it could jump, as we've seen, up to 100 bucks per polyp. Oh well, this goes with any collecting hobby.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that polyp would be $100 a polyp with out a name anyway.

A. They are business's trying to turn over a dollar,
B. Just because he calls it Satan's breath does absolutely nothing to the value of it, he could call it red speckles and I bet he would still be charging a $100 a polyp. Allot of time with guys like Zoafrags or some other people they make names and high prices in hopes to establish a name like PPE. This way they hope to be able to be traced back to them the fact that the polyp was established in the hobby by them.
C. The reason they think the price should be high is because of the truly uniqueness of the polyp itself. I bet it's safe to say that that peticular morph has not been seen in the hobby other then Pnoyreefer, 2 weeks ago when he posted about here. That is what makes it $100. I also don't want to hear about that polyp used to come in colony sizes back in the day cause if it did there would be pics of it from back in the day and now, the point of that is it hasn't and it didn't....Is it a bit much? sure, that's why I don't have one, but who am I to say Zoafrags, Zoanuts, or any other vendor you should only sell these crazy "hobby rare" polyps for $1 a piece. If someone wants it bad enough or has cash laying around and buys it so be it. I mean bubble corals, frogspawn, and all these other corals have been around for 20 years and they are still fetching $50 a piece, so with that much supply why arn't they $5 a piece.....? Would i buy one for that price most likely not if I wanted to keep my stones intact....But it is what it is....Personally I think to many people put to much weight on a name and not on the coral itself.....

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

B. Just because he calls it Satan's breath does absolutely nothing to the value of it, he could call it red speckles and I bet he would still be charging a $100 a polyp. Allot of time with guys like Zoafrags or some other people they make names and high prices in hopes to establish a name like PPE. This way they hope to be able to be traced back to them the fact that the polyp was established in the hobby by them.
C. The reason they think the price should be high is because of the truly uniqueness of the polyp itself. I bet it's safe to say that that peticular morph has not been seen in the hobby other then Pnoyreefer, 2 weeks ago when he posted about here. That is what makes it $100. I also don't want to hear about that polyp used to come in colony sizes back in the day cause if it did there would be pics of it from back in the day and now, the point of that is it hasn't and it didn't....Is it a bit much? sure, that's why I don't have one, but who am I to say Zoafrags, Zoanuts, or any other vendor you should only sell these crazy "hobby rare" polyps for $1 a piece. If someone wants it bad enough or has cash laying around and buys it so be it. I mean bubble corals, frogspawn, and all these other corals have been around for 20 years and they are still fetching $50 a piece, so with that much supply why arn't they $5 a piece.....? Would i buy one for that price most likely not if I wanted to keep my stones intact....But it is what it is....Personally I think to many people put to much weight on a name and not on the coral itself.....

Very well said AZ

I got mine from LAK. He fragged 3 frags 1 is going to me, 2 other reefers and he save a frag for himself. Recently I got a PM from him stating that he lost his frags and so does the other 2 frags he traded. So basically I am one lucky guy that mine its doin well and hopefully will grow out on me...

sr71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the other guy, I was so disappointed that the frags melted away and we couldn't trade. Oh well next time.

I had the same situation with the electric strawberry that I got from pookstreet. It was doing very well and when I fragged them, within weeks the main colony melted away. Don’t know what caused it to melt away.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have to agree. Very well put.

I hope no one thought I was saying they should be sold for cheap.

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But for sure mine will not be that high :)

Hopkins

Team Awesome
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanuts is top notch...nuff said!

Not just because he is a sponsor. He is a friend first and foremost. No zoanut bashing please...

No one was bashing him, just the price on a single polyp. I have nothing be respect for him, but I do take issue with a $150 price tag.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No one was bashing him, just the price on a single polyp. I have nothing be respect for him, but I do take issue with a $150 price tag.

Ok thanks.

gm333

Reef drooler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel its no different than this guy selling this. There will be someone to buy it, even though it is not even a 1/2. http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-CORAL-LE-T...ryZ46308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you got the money then why not? Is it going to make everyone else drive up the price? Probably not, unless there is a lot of people willing to pay for it. Also in a couple of years everyone will end up owning one, and you wont even be able to fetch 10.00 a polyp.

gm333

Reef drooler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because you wont give that price doesnt mean no-one else will. If you dont think it is right just look at the world around you where this happens all the time. Who in there right mind would give 8-10 bucks for a cup of coffee.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if zoas/palys were hardier I would be happy to pay the prices.
I have spent close to $1000, seriously in the last year for zoas that came healthy, but melted. Could of been bacterial, fungus, stress, never acclimated.

I am going thru it right now with about 3 frags. Everything is normal for water params, no predators(I am sure of that!), but polyps are closing and slowly melting while everything else is going crazy!

If zoas were like GSP, drop it in and watch it take over, I would buy alot more of them and probably set-up another system.

A mixed reef is a warfront of alchemy from one coral to another and this could be the problem also. Until zoas are understood to a point where we can reverse the melting easily I can't keep spending hundreds for frags.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id have to say your lighting and flow could be possible problems ware are you placing in your system?

Honestly, if zoas/palys were hardier I would be happy to pay the prices.
I have spent close to $1000, seriously in the last year for zoas that came healthy, but melted. Could of been bacterial, fungus, stress, never acclimated.

I am going thru it right now with about 3 frags. Everything is normal for water params, no predators(I am sure of that!), but polyps are closing and slowly melting while everything else is going crazy!

If zoas were like GSP, drop it in and watch it take over, I would buy alot more of them and probably set-up another system.

A mixed reef is a warfront of alchemy from one coral to another and this could be the problem also. Until zoas are understood to a point where we can reverse the melting easily I can't keep spending hundreds for frags.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the thread, but the 180g has 1050w of MH light and over 6000gph. These frags have grown and done well and then without visual caus they close and won't re-open. They then slowly lose polyps until they are gone. i watched a nice colony of X-men shrink, close, and disappear. I have done Furan baths, FW dips, Iodine dips, anti-biotics. Some re-open for awhile and then crash again. It is frustrating because it never happens to anything green!(seriously!!!)

here are some pics...
http://www.club-zoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5975&page=4

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back