Saying hi from CA

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, I had a dilemma years ago, pond or reef, I chose reef but I always love a well maintained pond.
Very nice.
ZomboMeme 19072021194517.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I found this site when looking for places to get help with reef-pi. I'm actually using reef-pi for my outdoor pond, so I may be blaspheming by being a member here. Is that a thing? A pond is certainly not a reef, but it is a mini-ecosystem of its own. Plus, it keeps the mosquitos at bay! The pond came with the house, but was in poor shape when my family and I purchased the house. I knew nothing about pond maintenance, so my journey began. I drained it and cleaned it with a vacuum, and found signs of life amongst the muck. Dragonfly larvae, minnows, and some sad pond lillies. I refilled the pond and reintroduced the fish and larvae. The pond did not have a filter so I bought a waterfall filter and some bioballs. I eventually added UV and activated charcoal.

I stocked the pond with comet goldfish and some fancy minnows - white cloud and ruby red. I hoped the fancy minnows would breed but no, the boring black minnows that came with the pond were the ones to breed. A lot. I was still happy to see that conditions were good enough for that, and the fry were pretty cute. The dragonfly larvae hatched too, and the dragonflies made the pond their home. Two frogs moved in, but they were promptly eaten by my dog. Birds were happy to bathe in the shallower parts of the pond, and the constant trickling of water was soothing to hear whenever outside. The pond lillies did almost too well, and I had to weed some of them out from time to time to keep them from completely covering the pond and obscuring the fish. I tried feeding the fish various types of food, but they didn't go for any of it. They were perfectly happy with the algae in the pond and the unfortunate insects looking for a drink of water. Besides the occasional treat, they don't need to be fed. Not yet anyway.

You know what they say though, all good things... I didn't know it, but the auto refill valve had stuck open. It was raining at the time so I didn't think it unusual the the pond was a little overfull. By the time I caught the failure, it had been going for at least a day and the chlorine from the tap water had killed all the fish.

I hadn't realized how attached I had become to those fish. I couldn't bring myself to clear them out of the pond - I had to have a friend do it. I thought I was done with my hobby. The pond could rot for all I cared. Weeks went by. I would look out at the pond and scowl - I felt betrayed. I couldn't stay angry forever though. Someone had to tend to the pond, and if I didn't do it, who would? I drained the pond once again, and once again, signs of life. Same as before - dragonfly larvae, minnows (they burrow under the mud) and sad pond lillies. The minnows were the same wild black minnows as before, and I decided I didn't want them in the pond this time. I set them free in a nearby creek (don't worry, they are native to that creek). I refilled the pond and added some "good bacteria." I also replaced the refill valve. I let the good bacteria grow for a month and by that time the water was just warm enough to restock. Same as last time except this time I'm adding a few koi. I just added them on Sunday and they haven't acclimated yet so they're hiding amongst the rocks, but I hope to see them happily poking around soon enough.

That's my story. I'll add a few pictures of the pond from last summer when the pond lillies were out. Hope you like.

20211006_171814 small.jpg 20211006_171831 small.jpg IMG_20210331_151002 small.jpg IMG_20210409_164607 small.jpg IMG_20210429_120606 small.jpg IMG_20210429_121217 small.jpg IMG_20210430_122645 small.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined. You have BBA - Bounce Back Ability - great for this hobby and great life skill. Sorry for your losses though...

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I found this site when looking for places to get help with reef-pi. I'm actually using reef-pi for my outdoor pond, so I may be blaspheming by being a member here. Is that a thing? A pond is certainly not a reef, but it is a mini-ecosystem of its own. Plus, it keeps the mosquitos at bay! The pond came with the house, but was in poor shape when my family and I purchased the house. I knew nothing about pond maintenance, so my journey began. I drained it and cleaned it with a vacuum, and found signs of life amongst the muck. Dragonfly larvae, minnows, and some sad pond lillies. I refilled the pond and reintroduced the fish and larvae. The pond did not have a filter so I bought a waterfall filter and some bioballs. I eventually added UV and activated charcoal.

I stocked the pond with comet goldfish and some fancy minnows - white cloud and ruby red. I hoped the fancy minnows would breed but no, the boring black minnows that came with the pond were the ones to breed. A lot. I was still happy to see that conditions were good enough for that, and the fry were pretty cute. The dragonfly larvae hatched too, and the dragonflies made the pond their home. Two frogs moved in, but they were promptly eaten by my dog. Birds were happy to bathe in the shallower parts of the pond, and the constant trickling of water was soothing to hear whenever outside. The pond lillies did almost too well, and I had to weed some of them out from time to time to keep them from completely covering the pond and obscuring the fish. I tried feeding the fish various types of food, but they didn't go for any of it. They were perfectly happy with the algae in the pond and the unfortunate insects looking for a drink of water. Besides the occasional treat, they don't need to be fed. Not yet anyway.

You know what they say though, all good things... I didn't know it, but the auto refill valve had stuck open. It was raining at the time so I didn't think it unusual the the pond was a little overfull. By the time I caught the failure, it had been going for at least a day and the chlorine from the tap water had killed all the fish.

I hadn't realized how attached I had become to those fish. I couldn't bring myself to clear them out of the pond - I had to have a friend do it. I thought I was done with my hobby. The pond could rot for all I cared. Weeks went by. I would look out at the pond and scowl - I felt betrayed. I couldn't stay angry forever though. Someone had to tend to the pond, and if I didn't do it, who would? I drained the pond once again, and once again, signs of life. Same as before - dragonfly larvae, minnows (they burrow under the mud) and sad pond lillies. The minnows were the same wild black minnows as before, and I decided I didn't want them in the pond this time. I set them free in a nearby creek (don't worry, they are native to that creek). I refilled the pond and added some "good bacteria." I also replaced the refill valve. I let the good bacteria grow for a month and by that time the water was just warm enough to restock. Same as last time except this time I'm adding a few koi. I just added them on Sunday and they haven't acclimated yet so they're hiding amongst the rocks, but I hope to see them happily poking around soon enough.

That's my story. I'll add a few pictures of the pond from last summer when the pond lillies were out. Hope you
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back