SBB- Spring Fling Blowout

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 8, Members: 7, Guests: 1)

Zero_Cool

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The apex is more reliable than the subtle color change.
I use the Ice Cap pink media in a reactor with recirculating skimmer lid. Had to add a drip collector as the humidity would pool in the bottom of the reactor and ruin the media. It does change to a lighter pink color as it is used up.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS bulk media, and changed it about once a month when I used it. I had it in their biggest media reactor. I had to add water to the bottom about once a week. I was scrubbing the air from outside so wasn’t too much use.

Ultimately I stopped using it by upping my pH with a refugium.
I'm slightly tempted to setup refugium, I have the chamber for it in my sump and also a light for it. Slightly.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Ice Cap pink media in a reactor with recirculating skimmer lid. Had to add a drip collector as the humidity would pool in the bottom of the reactor and ruin the media. It does change to a lighter pink color as it is used up.
I've been thinking about trying that one. I wonder if it contains potassium hydroxide, the BRS does not which is good. I'm probably the only person who wonders that though

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm slightly tempted to setup refugium, I have the chamber for it in my sump and also a light for it. Slightly.
It made a bigger difference than the CO2 scrubber. I had terrible pH problems since my tank is in my basement.

I went from 7.7, added an external air line to my skimmer and went to 7.9, added the scrubber and went to 8.1.

Removed the scrubber and added the refugium and after a month of running it I am at 8.3-8.4 consistently, still with the external air line to the skimmer.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It made a bigger difference than the CO2 scrubber. I had terrible pH problems since my tank is in my basement.

I went from 7.7, added an external air line to my skimmer and went to 7.9, added the scrubber and went to 8.1.

Removed the scrubber and added the refugium and after a month of running it I am at 8.3-8.4 consistently, still with the external air line to the skimmer.
What is your daily swing approximately? 8.3 low to 8.4 high? Or since you're running reverse lighting on fuge it doesn't dip?

Baby_Shark

King of shark week!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing every 2-3... maybe I'm changing it too often. My max PH so far (since I also started kalk) is 8.26
I should also recalibrate my PH probe this week.
Are you dosing as much as kalk as your evaporation? Im at a low of 8.3 and high of 8.6

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Give a refugium a try, it's cheaper in the long run and I like mine. Only issue is it sucks up the nitrates and phosphates. But it had a slight increase in my pH.

I just have too many kids and critters in the house with high CO2 levels.

I even have an outside airline to my skimmer.

Throw some snails in there to clean up unwanted algae growth.

Oh hey! Look! SBB sells snails!

Also if you want Chaeto I can send you some.

The light I use is a Walmart LED grow light, works amazingly well.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Got a gummie and playing some PC games now missed 5 pages :9
I'll sum it up for you
Angry Tazmanian Devil GIF by Looney Tunes
looney tunes taz GIF

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give a refugium a try, it's cheaper in the long run and I like mine. Only issue is it sucks up the nitrates and phosphates. But it had a slight increase in my pH.

I just have too many kids and critters in the house with high CO2 levels.

I even have an outside airline to my skimmer.

Throw some snails in there to clean up unwanted algae growth.

Oh hey! Look! SBB sells snails!

Also if you want Chaeto I can send you some.

The light I use is a Walmart LED grow light, works amazingly well.
I'm ok with it lowering PO4 and NO3... I may give it a go, I've done it before, but it's been awhile.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 174 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.0%
Back