OP
Questin

Questin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the point is that no one tells you the size now and they might be inclined to do so with a system like this in place.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like this idea and think it could actually make things better for the hobbiest. For me since I stink at reading a tape, it will make things much eaiser that going just by MM alone. I couldnt memorize mm sizes, but given 7-8 letters will be no problemo! ;)

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mm... I see coralnutz's point on the inconvinience of having to physically measure the polyp diameter, then matching it up to the chart. Can the mm sizes be based on something simple that we can pick up and match it to our polyps like coins? I do think that this scale chart is a great idea.

OP
OP
Questin

Questin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chart is in mm to help be universal because nothing else really is. Coins in Canada and in the US are different sizes in some cases and we could not even begin to make that a simple match to polyps sizes over seas.

One thing that does seem to be very universal in this hobby anywhere in the world is the mm measurement. Those of us in the US are the odd balls of the measurement world. We do inch, foot, yard, and mile, where everyone else does millimeter, centimeter, meter, and kilometer. But we still know what a millimeter is and it has the widest range of number in the small scale we are talking about here. We just need to come up with the areas in that range and put letters to them.

In truth, each area will most likely be a different genera and we would be giving a letter to that genera, but I honestly don't know that much about Zoanthids to know all the genera.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I pm'ed Questin about the idea of making these images on a credit card type card so they can actually be placed into the tank to measure. R2R is going to sponsors these cards and have some made and then send them out at cost. Maybe a $1 max shipping and all. It will also double as an algae scraper! LOL! Also on the other side we can add some other important info or something.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! BTW the card idea was coralnutz idea! :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I will have a bunch made for people to have and pass out. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back