Scribbled Rabbitfish

TylerE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious of everybody's thoughts and experiences with the Scribbled Rabbitfish. I'm looking at getting one from my LFS because the colours really caught my eye. Also curious if there will be any aggression issues with my other tank mates. I currently have in my tank.
2 clowns
yellow wrasse
red fire fish
Should add the tank is a 75g

Thanks

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have experience with this fish, but I have researched it a bit and read that it will grow too large for a 75-gallon tank. It might work while small if you have a lot of open space in a 75g, but probably not a long-term solution.

From what I read, all fish in the genus Siganus are known for almost complete lack of aggression toward fish of a different genus (possibly just different species, too), though they will fight others of the same species if not a mated pair. Also, I have read that these fish sometimes help to de-escalate aggression due to their larger size, bold and nonchalant nature, and that they are venomous. Other fish may view a Siganus as the boss of the tank, while the Siganus itself does not show aggression. This is not my own experience, but rather research I have done for my own tank (more specifically for foxfaces).

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one in my 140 back when I first started it up. Awesome fish, beautiful, peaceful... until he started munching my corals. Hadda go. He was slurping down zoanthids like they were M&M's. Liked my leathers, too.

NoVa Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one in my 140 back when I first started it up. Awesome fish, beautiful, peaceful... until he started munching my corals. Hadda go. He was slurping down zoanthids like they were M&M's. Liked my leathers, too.
Uh Oh - hopefully mine doesn't get into that habit. No issues with that for me so far.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh Oh - hopefully mine doesn't get into that habit. No issues with that for me so far.
Mine was fine for a year... got to be about 7" long, and suddenly... coral muncher.

I love rabbitfish. Got a Foxface LO now, about the same size. Awesome algae eaters, active, peaceful, attractive... Ok, so you don't want to grab one with your bare hands... yes, they're venomous. Don't be stupid, no big deal.

One of these days, I'm thinking about a 300g or larger down view only 'pond' on my enclosed patio. Likely marine fish only, maybe a few leathers or such... maybe a mangrove tree. Haven't really planned it all out, but an orange or gold spotted rabbitfish is certainly on the list... along with a queen or blueface angel.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back