Sea cinema: Do you take videos of your reef tank?

Do you take videos of your reef tank?

• Yes, I have successfully taken videos of my tank.

Votes: 155 49.5%
  • Yes, I have taken videos of my tank but with limited success.

Votes: 78 24.9%
  • No, but I am interested in taking videos of my tank.

Votes: 38 12.1%
  • No, I am not interested in taking videos of my tank.

Votes: 36 11.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

We have talked a lot about photographing your aquarium, but what about videos? There are many reasons to take videos instead of photos whether you are trying to catch that hard to catch fish, capture the effect of flow in your tank, or catch the movement of a sick fish. Maybe you took a video because that was the last setting on your camera or you were experimenting with a change of pace – whatever the reason that you have taken a video of your aquarium, please tell us about it and let us know if it was for informational purposes or if you were trying to be artistic. We want to know about your experience with video and your tank, what camera you use, and any tips that you want to share!

Pro Tip: Similar to taking a photograph of your tank, consider using a tripod for your video camera, be aware of lighting (light colors, shades, reflections, etc.), and pay attention to what is in the background. Most importantly, jump in and practice and then share your videos with others in the R2R videography section!

Sneakerhead_Video.png

Photo by @sneakerhead

1599056875769.png

Photo by @JMacedo

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com
1683905774518.png
“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”

Last edited by a moderator:

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken many videos of my tank(s) and the building of them. Lots of them (100ish) are posted to youtube. Nothing commercial, not trying to monetize, shoutouts for products we like, videos of when 'names' in the industry come to visit, rare fish collected, rare fish spawning, unique corals, coral growth, effects of growing corals in sunlight, outdoor tanks in 105 deg weather with 2000 par, the successes with my hobby and unfortunately the disasters that happen to my aquariums.

I video document the history of my reefing experience - both good and bad. I don't put in pretty music, I narrate and share my knowledge and experience.

I have been posting videos for 10+ years. When I started I used digital cameras, and then expensive digital cameras, then cell phones. With the digital SLR I did use a tripod (sometimes). When I switched to cell phone it led to videos of jerky handheld - but it was so much easier and more convenient that I didn't look back.

Videoing 3 different tanks that were 8' in length and now one that is 10' using a tripod was difficult to move around and follow fish or to have a discussion about the corals in the tank.

I'm a fast talker so keeping up with the livestock I'm talking about has led to some really shaky video. A few years ago Samsung added some great video stabilization to is Ultra Galaxy phones.

But as history has moved forward the quality of the videos people have been posting of their tanks has gone way up. Video editing software, audio mixing, has all become 'free' and available to anyone with a simple laptop or tablet - and now even phone.

Last year I invested in a DJI Osmo - this is a handheld device your cell phone snaps into that stabilize the phone on 3 axis. It not only stabilized the image from shaking, but as you pivot your hand from left to right it slows the phones 'swing' action right/left or up/down so that your video looks like you are panning rathing than bouncing all over. There is an app that links the camera in the phone to the Osmo and then you can hold the camera still and the 'handle' will track the activity of something in the camera screen you touch and the camera smoothly follows a fish for example. For under $160 MSRP. This has been a simple 1 min prep device before shooting a video that makes the viewers expereince alot more enjoyable.

There are so many people online posting beautiful videos of their tanks. Videos where the camera is mounted on a tripod. The filters are properly setup. Video color correction. Beautiful transitions from clip to clip. Gorgeous New Age music playing. I'm jealous of the production quality videos some people invest the time in to chronicle the history of their aquariums. When I look back at some of my older videos I wish sometimes I was a little more patient in my time to record, my time to edit (if any) and rush to post.

If you want to see any of my 'run and gun' narrated videos they are on youtube under o2manyfish - they are not monetized. I don't get anything no matter how many people click. And they are definitiely not flashy - LOL

Dave B

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a YouTube channel I upload video to I have a free way to store my video. Have videos from beginning tell Now and will continue to document. It's fun looking back to when I started

mushrommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phone hates videos and they come out looking so weird:downcast-face-with-sweat: heck, it makes my hammer look like it's bleaching
lol, anyways my tank is super empty, getting a bta soon.

Bob E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have taken some videos with just my cheaper cell phone. and plan to take more videos but will still be using my cell phone. The videos won't be high quality, but videos give a great overall view of life the tank.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can seem to get the correct colors , I’ve tried all the different lenses and even the orange glasses with my newer up to date iPhone but still can’t get the true colors right . If anyone has suggestions please feel free to share . Don’t want to buy major professional photography equipment to achieve this if possible.

Last edited:

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have heard very little conversation about applying LUTs for color grading reef aquarium footage. Probably because most of us aren't using cameras that can produce low contrast footage. It is something I'd like to get in to, once I upgrade my DSLR to mirrorless.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken videos of my tank. I checked that I did it with limited success as I do not consider myself proficient in either photography or videograghy but it does show a tank in a way that a photogragh can not. Here is my best:

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take videos occasionally with varied results. But since they’re taken with an iPhone they’re just grey boxes with the crooked off arrow when uploaded. Need to learn to use YouTube I guess. I have made a few short gifs here and there with some success uploading

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can seem to get the correct colors , I’ve tried all the different lenses and even the orange glasses with my newer up to date iPhone but still can’t get the true colors right . If anyone has suggestions please feel free to share . Don’t want to buy major professional photography equipment to achieve this if possible.
Warmth setting is the best thing I've found. On iphone you can add it before the video but I find it works best after taking and going into edit.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest problem is that whenever there's a perfect chance to capture some great video, I'm too involved in watching the tank to think of whipping out the camera. :(

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m addicted to reef tanks and content of my reef tanks. lol All of my content is filmed and edited with my iPhone

IMG_6778.jpeg

fishRus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reef

Last edited:

IsaacHunt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We have talked a lot about photographing your aquarium, but what about videos? There are many reasons to take videos instead of photos whether you are trying to catch that hard to catch fish, capture the effect of flow in your tank, or catch the movement of a sick fish. Maybe you took a video because that was the last setting on your camera or you were experimenting with a change of pace – whatever the reason that you have taken a video of your aquarium, please tell us about it and let us know if it was for informational purposes or if you were trying to be artistic. We want to know about your experience with video and your tank, what camera you use, and any tips that you want to share!

Pro Tip: Similar to taking a photograph of your tank, consider using a tripod for your video camera, be aware of lighting (light colors, shades, reflections, etc.), and pay attention to what is in the background. Most importantly, jump in and practice and then share your videos with others in the R2R videography section!

Sneakerhead_Video.png

Photo by @sneakerhead

1599056875769.png

Photo by @JMacedo

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com
1683905774518.png
“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”
I enjoy recording videos of the tank and its inhabitants.
Favourite tool is the macro Lens so you get a stunning view of the critters.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back