Seahorse setup

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey yall i want to start my first seahorse tank. I have a 30 gallon rn and I think the flow is to high to have these guys in there. I am planning on getting a pair and was debating on the Hawaiian black or fiji pink sand. Does this substrate types make a difference? Any preferences?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall i want to start my first seahorse tank. I have a 30 gallon rn and I think the flow is to high to have these guys in there. I am planning on getting a pair and was debating on the Hawaiian black or fiji pink sand. Does this substrate types make a difference? Any preferences?
Hawaiian black contains magnetic particles - so you have to be careful scraping the glass with any kind of magnetic scraper (as it can attach and then get dragged along - scratching the glass). I would probably go with fiji pink given the two choices.

As for the flow, you probably want a lot less supplemental flow than you'd normally have for a reef tank.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hawaiian black contains magnetic particles - so you have to be careful scraping the glass with any kind of magnetic scraper (as it can attach and then get dragged along - scratching the glass). I would probably go with fiji pink given the two choices.

As for the flow, you probably want a lot less supplemental flow than you'd normally have for a reef tank.
Greatly appreciate it! Any recommendations on filters or brands? I don't know here to start I was going to get a simple 10 gal HOB filter for $18 on Amazon

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Hey hall currently have a Aqueon and a Fluval flex . I cant decide which one to keep and which to return? Any thoughts or opinions? I have uploaded an image of both and was just worried about the Fluvals durability! It felt like it wasn’t glass ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hall currently have a Aqueon and a Fluval flex . I cant decide which one to keep and which to return? Any thoughts or opinions? I have uploaded an image of both and was just worried about the Fluvals durability! It felt like it wasn’t glass ?
I don't have any experience with Aqueon or the Fluval Flex; I know there have been the odd report of issues with the Flex.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back