Seahorse

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all starting my first seahorse dwarf tank in the coming months and would love any tips. I began to cycle my 15 gallon tank and I heard the taller the better. My tank is approximately 14 inches tall. I plan to start the cycle tomorrow by cycling with live rock and sand. I also was planning to take biomedia from my display tank to help jumpstart the cycle?
Thank you in advance

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all starting my first seahorse dwarf tank in the coming months and would love any tips. I began to cycle my 15 gallon tank and I heard the taller the better. My tank is approximately 14 inches tall. I plan to start the cycle tomorrow by cycling with live rock and sand. I also was planning to take biomedia from my display tank to help jumpstart the cycle?
Thank you in advance
Seahorse care is very tough. I never had luck with them. They need cold water so you need to add chiller + protein skimmer. Also when I bought my first one, my lfs told me that there is no need to feed them. He totally fooled me and after 2 weeks it starved. One thing is that make sure that yours accept frozen food. Ask your seller to feed frozen food in your presence as my sellers always make me fool. Give them plenty of algae and pods to eat. They have a good diet.
All the best!

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seahorse care is very tough. I never had luck with them. They need cold water so you need to add chiller + protein skimmer. Also when I bought my first one, my lfs told me that there is no need to feed them. He totally fooled me and after 2 weeks it starved. One thing is that make sure that yours accept frozen food. Ask your seller to feed frozen food in your presence as my sellers always make me fool. Give them plenty of algae and pods to eat. They have a good diet.
All the best!
Any ideas for a CUC? I was thinking 3 snails and a couple blue legged hermit crabs

Seahorsebreeder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m breeding seahorses and to be honest they are very simple to keep.
The difficult is find an healthy and well trained in eating frozen food .
I get them from tmc in the past few years and they wasn’t any good, I got mine from a different importer and I paid them a lot, but they were very good and after few months I managed to get them breeding.
I would avoid to put live rock, I would prefer using dry rock, (no nasty creatures) then add copepods, anfipod and some phytoplankton and let it run.
the filtration is very important, they need to be feed 3 to 8 times a day, so a good filtration is the best for keeping them healthy.
after the first month you can start add some macro algae for reducing no3 po4 and give them a natural habitat
Corals get very stressed by the horses when they get big .
Water temperature is proportionate to the feeding, higher is the temperature and faster is the metabolism so need more feeding if you keep tropical temperature.

cuc anything from ermit crab, snail ecc I would avoid sea urchin (mespillia) and crabs .

EBCE53A4-DABD-4854-AF21-9685FA6281D2.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C721653-5012-4C0C-A397-501912F304DF.jpeg
    8C721653-5012-4C0C-A397-501912F304DF.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 38
  • C9AD21A1-0EF2-4D5C-9D90-58C409A5970B.jpeg
    C9AD21A1-0EF2-4D5C-9D90-58C409A5970B.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 36

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get them from tmc in the past few years and they wasn’t any good, I got mine from a different importer and I paid them a lot, but they were very good and after few months I managed to get them breeding.
I would avoid to put live rock, I would prefer using dry rock, (no nasty creatures) then add copepods, anfipod and some phytoplankton and let it run.
the filtration is very important, they need to be feed 3 to 8 times a day, so a good filtration is the best for keeping them healthy.
after the first month you can start add some macro algae for reducing no3 po4 and give them a natural habitat
Water temperature is proportionate to the feeding, higher is the temperature and faster is the metabolism so need more feeding if you keep tropical temperature.

cuc anything from ermit crab, snail ecc I would avoid sea urchin (mespillia) and crabs .

Wow! This scene is forcing me to buy a pair!

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Hello I was going to add about 3-4 hermit crabs. 3 nassarius snails and 2 turbo snails. Then eventually I will add seahorses! Any thoughts on this CUC?

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would you recommend a peppermint or cleaner shrimp for a nano seahorse tank

Last edited by a moderator:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back