seahorses in regular reef tank

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you keep seahorses in a regular reef tank. I wanna have a couple in my new setup and I was wondering what I would have to do to have them and if they were even good for reef tanks.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest concern with seahorses in a reef tank would be the amount of current. Seahorses aren't strong swimmers and would probably get swirled around the tank and be injured by the rock work or corals. They're best kept in low current tanks with plenty to things for them to wrap their tails around.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only the current issue, but seahorses are messy eaters, they typically can be pretty wasteful. Unless you want to be a syphon ****, it would be tough to keep the water quality good. The only type of reef I would recomend doing seahorses in would be a smaller zoo and mushroom reef.

SteveOhh

******* Coral Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want any aggressive fish in a horse tank that the horses have to compete for food. Horses are slow eaters & having aggressive eaters in the same tank means the horses get no food. Good tank mates for horses are pipefish, smaller gobies & perc or occ clowns.

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, horses like to grab on to things with their tails and will get stung by a lot of the corals. Best in their own tank.

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want an alternative try Pipefish. I have had a mated pair in my Reef for 8 months. You will also have people tell you not to do those either, They are fine. The high flow does not bother them. You just need a high pod population becuase they eat constantly like a mandarin.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back