Second New DIY Two Part Recipe with Higher pH Boost

TruckerAquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, would somebody please take the time to answer this question.

I want to make a 5 gallon bucket of alkalinity/ph buffer.

I have 600 mg of sodium hydroxide and about 1,000 mg of potassium hydroxide.

Can I safely mix this together in order to make about five or six gallons?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, would somebody please take the time to answer this question.

I want to make a 5 gallon bucket of alkalinity/ph buffer.

I have 600 mg of sodium hydroxide and about 1,000 mg of potassium hydroxide.

Can I safely mix this together in order to make about five or six gallons?

I cannot see any reason to use potassium hydroxide and I won’t give a recipe for it unless you give a clear reason for it. There’s too much chance of excessive potassium.

TruckerAquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr Randy thank you for your reply.
Until recently I was using kalk for my alkalinity and calcium in hopes to also have higher pH.
On a good day my PH goes up to 8.3 but at night sometimes it falls all the way to 8.05.
That's a lot of swing I think. So my hope was to decrease the kalk at night a little bit and instead of it dose sodium hydroxide to make ph more balanced.
I had previously made about a gallon of sodium hydroxide and a dose currently about 150 ml overnight. It really does help with the pH.
I want to make a bigger container like a 5 gallon bucket but I didn't have on hand enough sodium hydroxide, but I did have some potassium hydroxide.
So I was thinking mixing these two together to make the solution and hoping that not that much potassium would actually be dosed.
I'm just going to order some more sodium hydroxide from Amazon and not bother with potassium.

Thank you for taking the time for looking at all of these silly questions.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr Randy thank you for your reply.
Until recently I was using kalk for my alkalinity and calcium in hopes to also have higher pH.
On a good day my PH goes up to 8.3 but at night sometimes it falls all the way to 8.05.
That's a lot of swing I think. So my hope was to decrease the kalk at night a little bit and instead of it dose sodium hydroxide to make ph more balanced.
I had previously made about a gallon of sodium hydroxide and a dose currently about 150 ml overnight. It really does help with the pH.
I want to make a bigger container like a 5 gallon bucket but I didn't have on hand enough sodium hydroxide, but I did have some potassium hydroxide.
So I was thinking mixing these two together to make the solution and hoping that not that much potassium would actually be dosed.
I'm just going to order some more sodium hydroxide from Amazon and not bother with potassium.

Thank you for taking the time for looking at all of these silly questions.

Ok, I understand, and I do think waiting for just the sodium hydroxide is desirable. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 62 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back