Secondhand Kessil A350 worth buying for this price?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting for my 29g tank to cycle. The plan (for now) is to have no corals or maybe 1~2 soft corals max, like green star polyps, mushroom or button (whichever requires least light, flow and care). I have no tank light at the moment and was looking for something small and low power, like 5~15w.
Then I stumbled upon a secondhand deal on a local community (in Korea), the guy was selling a whole bunch of stuff together, including a Kessil A350, a tank, a jebao rw4, some sand, a rock and more.
The package comes at around US$150, please correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed pretty dang cheap to me but surprisingly no one seemed to be interested (for now at least). I'm new to the hobby and don't know much but I've heard anything with Kessil tag is meant to be good and expensive.
The seller just says the Kessil A350 is "old but works fine", and the picture shows what appears to be rust on the large screw on the top. So does it sound like a good deal?
Now I don't need a light that powerful and I certainly don't need most of that other stuff (there are some stuff I'd use, like the wavemaker) but it is very tempting. Would there be a point in getting the A350 and dimming it down? Maybe I can use it in super low settings and future proof my tank just in case I change my mind about growing corals in the future? Or is this a stupid idea?
It's about an hour and a half drive and it is only sold as a whole so I might end up having to sell some of the other stuff myself to save some $$$.
Any thoughts?

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A350 is definitely an older model. Since then they've released the A360, and now the A380. That said, there's nothing wrong with the 350. It doesn't look as slick or have as many controllability options (I believe), but it's a good light. It should be perfectly adequate for growing a few soft corals. Hopefully some others will chime in with more info. Best of luck!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back