Seeking input to plumbing job on new Innovative Marine 75int build

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, have not plumbed sump in ages and would appreciate any feedback before I glue.
Plumbing a Trigger Systems Platinum 26 to Innovative Marine 75int.
Anything you would change?
I have a UV sterilizer (AquaUV 15 watt Classic) I plan to place horizontally and soft plumb in the space next to sump. I know of no other ways due to aluminum stand, and it seems easiest.
Thank you for your feedback.
IMG_3455.jpeg
IMG_3455.jpeg
IMG_3454.jpeg
IMG_3453.jpeg

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good from what I can see. Will you be running a stand-alone pump to your UV?
I go back and forth on that.
At this point I was going to plumb in line with return. Was thinking if I got a 4-5 time turnover rate I’d be ok. I was more interested in algae/clarity than Protozoa.
What do you think?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go back and forth on that.
At this point I was going to plumb in line with return. Was thinking if I got a 4-5 time turnover rate I’d be ok. I was more interested in algae/clarity than Protozoa.
What do you think?
That would work. If you do, I'd run a bunch of unions so you have the option of running all the water through the UV, half through the UV or none through the UV (maintenance). You'll also want a union to control the flow through the UV.

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would work. If you do, I'd run a bunch of unions so you have the option of running all the water through the UV, half through the UV or none through the UV (maintenance). You'll also want a union to control the flow through the UV.
So are you suggesting hard plumbing it? I am not sure how to do that. I’m trying to picture that in my head. If you have time could you lead me to a link or provide a little more info so I could know how to do it? I appreciate it!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you suggesting hard plumbing it? I am not sure how to do that. I’m trying to picture that in my head. If you have time could you lead me to a link or provide a little more info so I could know how to do it? I appreciate it!
Yes - you're doing all the plumbing anyway. What kind of UV have you selected?

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an Aqua uv classic 15 watt. At this point I was just going to use vinyl tubing from return pump to uv to back to tank. Here is how it is laid out now, but I’d love to improve upon setup. I truly appreciate all of your feedback on this post and others
image.jpg

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of adding a manifold for a reactor of the need arises. I’m starting to look for some Brs videos on what you suggested for UV. The manifold is easy but the UV plumbing as you suggested is definitely above my current skill level. Eager to learn though and do it before gluing things.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably mount the UV up as high as you can on the right with the bulb/cord facing forward (you need to remove the bulb for replacement and maintenance). You can buy brackets for the AquaUV for mounting.

Basically you want to be able to run all your flow through the UV, some of it or none of it depending on your needs, ie: you need increased UV strength, regular UV strength or no UV (maintenance).

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably mount the UV up as high as you can on the right with the bulb/cord facing forward (you need to remove the bulb for replacement and maintenance). You can buy brackets for the AquaUV for mounting.

Basically you want to be able to run all your flow through the UV, some of it or none of it depending on your needs, ie: you need increased UV strength, regular UV strength or no UV (maintenance).
Thank you-appreciate that. I’m going to see what I can put together.

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One concern about mounting it high, which I want to do, is having correct up orientation of inlet/outlet. If horizontally mounted up high, seems like it will be hard to have inlet/outlet point upward too

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One concern about mounting it high, which I want to do, is having correct up orientation of inlet/outlet. If horizontally mounted up high, seems like it will be hard to have inlet/outlet point upward too
You can always mount it at a 45 or 90 degree angle, ie: sideways.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 18 10.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 59 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back