Seriously what phosphate test is accurate?

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't seem to trust any phosphate test kits for the home use. I have a hanna phosphate checker I use every day by the way. Today I used the same solution and tested it 5 or 6 times.

I got:

Then I used a salifert phosphate kit and it was pretty much undetectable. What to believe? All of my zoas are shrinking on me. I've lowered light but don't know what the problem is.

Alk 8.3
Cal 425
Mag 1380
Nitrate 5
Salinity 1.0245
Ph 8.2
Temp 77.2

Please help!!
All test kits are salifert

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say even with the fluctuations it would appear tou know your lower than .1 phos. Ive reached .4 before l. My zoas survived it fine. I wouldnt thing its a phos issure with the zoas

OP
OP
DereksReef77

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I can agree with the statement that I am at .1 or less but the salifert says it is 0-.03 there was next to zero blue color so which is accurate because if it is truly zero then that would probably be why im having issues with my zoas. No?

slicko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hanna phosphate eggs have a accuracy of +- 0.04 so all those results seem fine to me. imo phophate eggs are the most accurate and easy to use.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read of several people using the ELOS Prof. kit. I haven't used it yet so i can not guarantee that it is accurate. Will be getting one next week to corroborate.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna 736 is the most accurate on the market atm iirc..
They're +/- error rate is parts per billion, not parts per million like other tests..

OP
OP
DereksReef77

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that I hooked up a diy algae scrubber about a month ago and it must finally be broken in and is now removing more nutrients than I've been putting in. Duhh my bad I think that is my problem. But as far as the hanna egg I'm not trusting it. I believe the salifert is more accurate as it is showing very little color change in the test to support my theory that I haven't been feeding enough. I'll keep posted my findings but I will try the elos I tried to get one tonight from brs but they were sold out of it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't seem to trust any phosphate test kits for the home use. I have a hanna phosphate checker I use every day by the way. Today I used the same solution and tested it 5 or 6 times.

I got:

Assuming it is the 713, that is exactly in line with their claimed specification of +/- 0.04 ppm. :)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hobby grade kits are not accurate you have to look at the more expensive lab grade kits like hach.
D-D phosphate kits are accurate too and are based of Merck test kits at least they used to be.

lamotte test kits would most likely be the best hobby test kit.

Really no phospahte test kits is much good because they only test for orthophosphate.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobby grade kits are not accurate you have to look at the more expensive lab grade kits like hach.
D-D phosphate kits are accurate too and are based of Merck test kits at least they used to be.

lamotte test kits would most likely be the best hobby test kit.

Really no phospahte test kits is much good because they only test for orthophosphate.

Lamotte PO4 kit is lacking IMO

Best hobby grade kit to me would be from Hach.

From there a tie between Elos Pro and the hanna 736. Pros and cons to me in below PO4 kit review.

Some more common test kit reviews I've done and recommend.

A Nitrate Test kit shootout betweenNYOS, Salifert, RedSea Pro, and API
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nitrate-test-kit-shoot-out-nyos-salifert-redsea-api.221323/

A PO4 test kit shootout between Nyos, Elos Pro, Salifert, Hanna Checkers x2, and Seachem.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/po...s-pro-salifert-hanna-checkers-seachem.222628/

Me vs. Triton
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hobbyist-vs-triton-testing.221320/

All the Above along with AWT vs. Triton which also includes another follow up Triton test
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tr...ts-api-salifert-elos-redsea-hanna-etc.222909/

The final Big 3 Shootout Alk, Ca, Mg: RedSea, Nyos, Elos, Salifert, API, Hanna, Triton, AWT
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bi...os-elos-salifert-api-hanna-triton-awt.234660/

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive come to the conclusion that the best phosphate test isnt a test, but watching how quickly algae grow.

Second conclusion, spend money on gfo, not po4 test kits.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In order to test a test kit you need a solution that has a known value. You can not test them against each other for accuracy really.
A couple of years ago I tested a bunch of test kits. I have always tested my new kit compared to my last. If they were way different I tested with a 3rd or 4 th test kits,
I got a couple of bad salifert that were so off someone could nuke a tank.

You can not even get good test solutions anymore. I just ordered from brs calibration fluid for my refractometer and it read higher than the two older bottles I had. I ordered a pinpoint just to make sure it wasnt something with the old kits and it also read lower than my new one. BRS never got back to me on the issue.

My point is the only real way to test a kit is with a reference solution.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 76 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 76 29.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.2%
Back