Setting Up A New Frag Tank . . .

ConnorK0220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I am going to be setting up a new frag tank in the very near future and i have a few questions that i was hoping you guys could help me answer :D

So first off, i plan on using a white botanicare flood table with egg crate as the main display if you will. It is going to be plumbed into a 20 gallon sump / refugium. In the sump is going to be a protein skimmer, maybe filter floss and a filter sock, and some chaeto. I already have lights for the tank, i have a heater and a sump along with a powerhead ( but i plan to get one or two more ) So my question is, do i need some sort of substrate? ( for example on BRS they have a video where they put eheim substrat bio balls in the passageways on the flood table ) or can i leave the frag tank itself with just power heads, eggcrate and the coral frags and then put some rock or marinepure or something in the sump for filtration? do i even need biological filtration? ( rock, bioballs ( marinepure ), sand, etc... ) or will it be fine with just a skimmer filtersocks and chaeto?

P.S. I plan on having 3 or 4 fish in the frag tank ( the flood table itself is 2'x4' ) I want to get a sixline, a tang, and maybe clowns and an anemone ( so i can trade extra anemones when it splits ) As for the corals, i want to be able to house anything and everything ( ranging from mushrooms to sps )

Any help or feedback will be very much appreciated!! :D

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back