OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update: the nem has doubled in size, but it still doesn't like light and did not take kindly to the pvc connectors. It is currently eating a whole mysis shrimp every other day because it cannot photosynthesize. It is currently in a deli cup with a mesh lid in the overflow box of my waterbox cube 20. This allows me to easy feed it and keep it out of direct light while also protecting it from powerheads.

It still has no tentacles and no color. Does anyone have any suggestions to get it to regrow tentacles? I read a thread on here about giving a bleached nem a tentacle from a healthy nem to give it new zooxanthellae, but I don't think that will work until it has tentacles to photosynthesize with.
20230804_170148.jpg

Attachments

• 20230804_170205.jpg
    20230804_170205.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230804_170213.jpg
    20230804_170213.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update: the nem has doubled in size, but it still doesn't like light and did not take kindly to the pvc connectors. It is currently eating a whole mysis shrimp every other day because it cannot photosynthesize. It is currently in a deli cup with a mesh lid in the overflow box of my waterbox cube 20. This allows me to easy feed it and keep it out of direct light while also protecting it from powerheads.

It still has no tentacles and no color. Does anyone have any suggestions to get it to regrow tentacles? I read a thread on here about giving a bleached nem a tentacle from a healthy nem to give it new zooxanthellae, but I don't think that will work until it has tentacles to photosynthesize with.
20230804_170148.jpg
Here is that thread about the tentacle transplant if anyone is curious. Thread 'Zooxanthellae Transplant for Bleached Anemones' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/zooxanthellae-transplant-for-bleached-anemones.758507/

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop feeding it and get it in some flow and lower light… mine went through a blender and looks sad when it’s not in some decent flow.. crank the flow and it puffs up and looks half dead instead of melting away and spitting it’s guts out lol..

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop feeding it and get it in some flow and lower light… mine went through a blender and looks sad when it’s not in some decent flow.. crank the flow and it puffs up and looks half dead instead of melting away and spitting it’s guts out lol..
It will not tolerate even low light. I turned the light (ai prime 16hd with the saxby preset) down to 25% when I first introduced it to my tank and it would stay closed and shriveled all day until the lights turned 100% off. It would not even open under very low blue light in the evening. Feeding it has helped it grow, so why would I stop that? It is 100% bleached and cannot get food from photosynthesis, so wouldn't stopping cause it to starve (These are actual questions, not a rhetorical response)? It already looks significantly better than when I brought it home so I am very hesitant to change what I am doing in such a dramatic way without good reason.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will not tolerate even low light. I turned the light (ai prime 16hd with the saxby preset) down to 25% when I first introduced it to my tank and it would stay closed and shriveled all day until the lights turned 100% off. It would not even open under very low blue light in the evening. Feeding it has helped it grow, so why would I stop that? It is 100% bleached and cannot get food from photosynthesis, so wouldn't stopping cause it to starve (These are actual questions, not a rhetorical response)? It already looks significantly better than when I brought it home so I am very hesitant to change what I am doing in such a dramatic way without good reason.
Feeding them normally triggers stress response.. I’m far from a nem pro I leave that to @OrionN … I just base my experience off of research from people like Orion and my hands on experience right now with a severely wounded Colorado sunburst nem..

Attachments

• IMG_0860.jpeg
    IMG_0860.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding them normally triggers stress response.. I’m far from a nem pro I leave that to @OrionN … I just base my experience off of research from people like Orion and my hands on experience right now with a severely wounded Colorado sunburst nem..
Yeah that nem certainly looks beat up, but it still has some color and seems to be in good hands. If you read the original post I made, this one was neglected with no light for over a year, so it is a very different situation. Idk if I mentioned this or not, but there was also very little flow and they rarely topped off the water, so salinity was also too high and constantly swinging. It's a different situation and I think it would continue to wither away if I stopped feeding it, and it just isn't adapting well to higher flow or any amount of light.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's reacting to light like that because it doesn't have fluorescent proteins to protect it from the light anymore. I see nothing wrong with doing a tentacle transplant now, they it might not have tentacles it can store and use the zoox in its oral disc as well. Good on you for keeping it alive for so long, that's really not easy. Wishing you the best.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a couple weeks? This journey may take months...
Yes I know. But I still wanted to give an update and look to see if anyone has any suggestions. I'm new to reefing and to anemones so I'm going to be asking a lot of questions. I'm definitely a little in over my head with this one.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know. But I still wanted to give an update and look to see if anyone has any suggestions. I'm new to reefing and to anemones so I'm going to be asking a lot of questions. I'm definitely a little in over my head with this one.
I am learning from this thread myself. Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I had to move my tank a few hours away to my college dorm room and the little anemone does not appear to have made it. He's currently in an acclimation box but he isn't sticking or reacting to touch

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I had to move my tank a few hours away to my college dorm room and the little anemone does not appear to have made it. He's currently in an acclimation box but he isn't sticking or reacting to touch
Mine actually pulled through after going through a blender lol… it’s small now but looks healthy and bubbles up and is happy… I haven’t fed it yet but will soon.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine actually pulled through after going through a blender lol… it’s small now but looks healthy and bubbles up and is happy… I haven’t fed it yet but will soon.
The problem is mine is bleached from its prior neglect, so it needs to be fed to survive and its in no state to feed. I'm not super optimistic about this guys chances.

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry! I know we were all rooting for the little guy. How long ago was the tank move?

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is day three
Okay, hopefully still stressed from the move… poor little guy. I don’t know much about the timeframe, but when my tank was moved in from my neighbor across the hall, my (huge/ healthy) nem still looked puffed up and different for at least 2 days. Hopefully this guy is just temporarily hating life and will come back around.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, hopefully still stressed from the move… poor little guy. I don’t know much about the timeframe, but when my tank was moved in from my neighbor across the hall, my (huge/ healthy) nem still looked puffed up and different for at least 2 days. Hopefully this guy is just temporarily hating life and will come back around.
Hopefully. He really doesn't look good though. Almost like he is on the verge of disintegrating.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully. He really doesn't look good though. Almost like he is on the verge of disintegrating.
Make sure he’s got some good flow on him so the water exchanges etc.. you’d be really surprised what these these things make it through.. here’s a before, blender and current picture.
IMG_0694.jpeg
IMG_0858.jpeg
7E13D797-8B61-4E9F-BEF4-687920546159.jpeg

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rbta, just witnessed it eating its own tenticle. Granted the tank was just fed and it caught some food, overzealous?

Attachments

• 20230906_172902.jpg
    20230906_172902.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 34

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 56.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back