Shark and ray adding

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 7’ by 26” by 26”

I’m interested in buying two sharks and a rat for my aquarium, I’ve read up on all listed species.

I’m trying to add these two to my tank

Horn shark, I have a store that gets 7” ones
epaulette shark, I will get an ORA captive bred one.

There is an LFS nearby that specializes in sharks and rays, I plan to buy a blue dot ray from.

How fast will each shark get to 30”? If they do.

How active is the ray? Constant swimmer? Only comes out at feeding? So not active you have to spot feed so they eat?

If for some reason the shark/s and ray appear not happy in my tank, I have an aquarium that takes donations like 10 minutes away from me. OR I will set up a large pond in my basement for them. I am following the same plan for my hi fin snapper, and naso tang.

For tank makes
Hi fin snapper 8”
Naso tang 9”
Magnificent foxface 7”
Powder blue tang 3”
Purple tang 4”
Polleni grouper 5”
Aussie harlequin tusk
Male banana wrasse
A couple tangs
Pair of blue throat triggers
Blue reef chromis
bi color goatfish
A few large mexican turbo snails

I understand the risk with triggers and sharks, but my blue throat is very passive, and Is the reef safe

My tank is extremely over filtered, skimmer is rated for 4X the size. Large UV, and other miscellaneous filtration items. I test my water daily.

(In the pic there is two angels, I’m removing both of them for the sharks.)

Both caves are hollow, so large open caves.

image.jpg

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 7’ by 26” by 26”

I’m interested in buying two sharks and a rat for my aquarium, I’ve read up on all listed species.

There is an LFS nearby that specializes in sharks and rays, I plan to buy a blue dot ray from.

How active is the ray? Constant swimmer? Only comes out at feeding? So not active you have to spot feed so they eat?

If for some reason the shark/s and ray appear not happy in my tank, I have an aquarium that takes donations like 10 minutes away from me. OR I will set up a large pond in my basement for them. I am following the same plan for my hi fin snapper, and naso tang.

For tank makes
Hi fin snapper 8”
Naso tang 9”
Magnificent foxface 7”
Powder blue tang 3”
Purple tang 4”
Polleni grouper 5”
Aussie harlequin tusk
Male banana wrasse
A couple tangs
Blue reef chromis
bi color goatfish

I understand the risk with triggers and sharks, but my blue throat is very passive, and Is the reef safe

My tank is extremely over filtered, skimmer is rated for 4X the size. Large UV, and other miscellaneous filtration items. I test my water daily.

image.jpg
All I’m asking is how fast they grow, and if they’re okay with my tank mates

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I’m asking is how fast they grow, and if they’re okay with my tank mates
Give some time for Jay to answer. Can't find a better person to ask.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 7’ by 26” by 26”

For tank makes
Hi fin snapper 8”
Naso tang 9”
Magnificent foxface 7”
Powder blue tang 3”
Purple tang 4”
Polleni grouper 5”
Aussie harlequin tusk
Male banana wrasse
A couple tangs
Blue reef chromis
bi color goatfish

image.jpg
Just some general advice: horn sharks, even the Mexican species, prefer temperate water. I’d opt for a coral cat shark or a tank raised epaulette.
There are two species of bluespot ray - round and diamond. The round ones are really delicate, I’d opt for the diamond one. I think those are kuhli rays.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tank is 7’ by 26” by 26”

For tank makes
Hi fin snapper 8”
Naso tang 9”
Magnificent foxface 7”
Powder blue tang 3”
Purple tang 4”
Polleni grouper 5”
Aussie harlequin tusk
Male banana wrasse
A couple tangs
Blue reef chromis
bi color goatfish

image.jpg
Not sure if Rats are reef safe. You could ask @pandaparties on his experience with rays and sharks though in his 300g he is breaking down.

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some general advice: horn sharks, even the Mexican species, prefer temperate water. I’d opt for a coral cat shark or a tank raised epaulette.
There are two species of bluespot ray - round and diamond. The round ones are really delicate, I’d opt for the diamond one. I think those are kuhli rays.
I keep my tanks at 72 now, the fish don’t mind. I read the horn shark can do up to 72, I’m guessing I’m wrong?

And then for the ray, I have a reliable source for the round blue spot, how difficult is it? It seems like the diamond one gets way too big

Thanks for the reply!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my tanks at 72 now, the fish don’t mind. I read the horn shark can do up to 72, I’m guessing I’m wrong?

And then for the ray, I have a reliable source for the round blue spot, how difficult is it? It seems like the diamond one gets way too big

Thanks for the reply!
72 is fine for horn sharks. I keep them between 65 and 72.

Let the dealer hold the round blue spot ray for you as long as you can, the majority of issues arise due to shipping stress. If the dealers has it for a few weeks and it is eating well, it is a much safer option. Don’t buy any ray that has curled pectoral fins.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back