Shark tank complete

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had an 8000 sq ft house and 45k to drop on a 10x10 rounded tank I would lol

Don’t you dare respond to these comments with what you would have done. What you did is great, and that shark will be given a wonderful life with the best foods. This thread reminds me of Facebook, not a forum, with these f*****’ comments. Ignore them.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t you dare respond to these comments with what you would have done. What you did is great, and that shark will be given a wonderful life with the best foods. This thread reminds me of Facebook, not a forum, with these f*****’ comments. Ignore them.
lol you aint kidding.

The nicest LFS in my area had a pair of full grown bamboo sharks NFS for the life of the store in their largest display tank similar in size to this (if not smaller).

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following this conversation. I prefer to use data and math. I recall an interesting article by Jay Hemdal.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/estimating-the-need-for-swimming-space-for-aquarium-fishes.801/
Based on these numbers: bamboo shark maximum length = 41 inches, using 80% for maximum size in captivity = 32.8 inches, considering bamboo shark in category 1 ( sedentary), ratio for the 10 foot x 3 foot tank is 4.76
4.76 is above the minimum ratio of 3.5; just shy of the preferred ratio of 5.0
Based on Jay's article I believe the shark should do fine in the provided aquarium, with regards to size.

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. 10x3 is more than adequate for bamboo sharks..coral cat sharks or epulatte sharks.

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been very fun. The shark ate some of the fish under 4 inches. So I bought an 8 inch blue hippo tang and all is well now.

Thumper my 25 incher white spotted bamboo is like a dog. Cant wait for a treat. He will swim up 30 inches and eat the food from our hands. It is violent and scary. Despite popular belief bamboo shark do have around 100 sharp teeth and they are incredibly strong. It started at one in 10 tries and now he will do it 1 in 3 tries. My fingers are never anywhere near his mouth when hand feeding.

Very kool watching him learn.

I've watched a few vids in the wild of large 3-5 foot bamboo sharks eating octopus ect. They can thrash side to side with incredible force. Far from the docile predator I thought they were.

Thumper head thrashed side to side for 30 seconds when the blue hippo tang was ticked he was near her cave area and he turned my tank into a tornado of white water and sand.

Somthing to consider with Bamboo sharks.

You are getting a bottom dwelling catfish 80% of the time.

But 10% they swim in elegant shark fashion..

The other 10% when they eat or get ticked you are 100% in shark territory and must use caution.

Again the sea parks with debarbed stingrays and human desensitized bamboo sharks have not been a good representation of what I actually got.

Heres a 50 inch bamboo shark hunting an octopus for a good reality check

I do enjoy my teenage whitespotted bamboo shark and my baby brown banded bamboo shark.

Amazing animals. But you need a MINIMUM of 350 gallons as they do swim and hunt for food daily (5-10% of time)

And they are not at all like the ones on vids at SeaWorld ect. Those guys are likely captive bread and fed 3 times a day and around humans all day every day.

Your bamboo shark will be somewhere between those at sea world and the wild octopus eater. Atleaste mine is.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks amazing! You definitely seem to be doing the best you can for these fish. I have also seen 6’x1.5-2’ long tanks being advised for these fish, I assume this is due to “not” swimming as much.

Got anything planned for other inhabitants? Or are they highly restrictive in terms of what else you can add?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of those comments were pretty funny, Ive never actually seen someone on the web with a bamboo shark in an appropriately sized aquarium, until now. Absolutely beautiful setup thanks for sharing it with us!

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good looking tank. I believe that you have done your research and are providing it with enough space.
I don't understand many of the comments; "500G vs the ocean". same applies to the clownfish you keep in a 10 or 15 gallon.

Korkuc36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish. Maybe one day I can add 590 gallons to my 75 hahaha . Great looking setup! Let's see the sump and equipment

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank!! I wish I had a place in my house to fit a tank that large! I agree with the comments made about ignoring the hate thrown your way. You can use the same logic about all fish and invertebrates being in a home aquarium vs being in the ocean. The important thing is you have done your research and are providing the best life possible for the little guys! I cant wait to see how they grow and follow along with the progression of the tank.

What temp do you keep their water at out of curiosity? We set up a predator tank and our inhabitant needs colder water. Our tank is no where near the size of yours so I couldn't imagine the $ if you needed a chiller lol

djstud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that your setup is absolutely amazing. I have been in the saltwater hobby for 39 years and have pretty much seen everything. Good Job and keep us posted as things progress. I would also like to see your tanks filtration.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking same thing when I watched it that the tank looked small. And there is another shark in it.
For a shark, 10’x3’ is a mansion compared to what people actually put them in. Yes 10’x3’ is still a bit on the small side for sharks in general but the specific species that are in this tank don’t swim as much as say a white tip reef (Triaenodon obesus) or black tip reef (Carcharhinus melanopterus) will.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An intense amount of work but finally complete.

Tank is 10 feet by 3 feet and 562 gallons

Sump is 180 gallons

25 inch teenaged male white spotted bamboo shark "Thumper"

7 inch baby brown banded bamboo shark "Bambi"

2 yellow wrasse

2 nemos

1 dory

18 zombie snails

Gonna add a coral cat shark and small sting ray in the future

Have your sharks never picked off tank mates?

MEPAWN35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank for the Shark and he looks happy and healthy. I too also have a cat shark and he 100% loves to be in a "cave" most the day until he gets hungry.... and then he can certainly turn into a ferocious shark. When I feed him silversides he will bite it in half on the first bite and thrash around the tank, actually really cool to see.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back