I'm currently ordering everything I need to set up the fluval evo:
RODI 4 Stage-ordered
Sand-Ordered
Red Sea testing kit-ordered
Aquaroche-ordered
Salt- recommendations please
Return pump upgrade- sicce 0.5 or 1.0?
Heater-recommendations please

What I'm most stuck on is what media I need, I'm going to purchase a media basket. I'm thinking of using marine pure gems. What floss do I need and do I need carbon?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Media is used as there is a need for it in the tank.

Heaters you'll need 2, I use eheim and a heater controller like inkbird.

Salt what ever is readily available and relatively cheap like instant ocean. Salt is Salt. There is no magic brand.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently ordering everything I need to set up the fluval evo:
RODI 4 Stage-ordered
Sand-Ordered
Red Sea testing kit-ordered
Aquaroche-ordered
Salt- recommendations please
Return pump upgrade- sicce 0.5 or 1.0?
Heater-recommendations please

What I'm most stuck on is what media I need, I'm going to purchase a media basket. I'm thinking of using marine pure gems. What floss do I need and do I need carbon?
I use Instant Ocean reef crystals for salt, works great for me. I do use carbon, though I know some do not. I use it because it really does make a big difference in clarity of water, as well as remove toxins, including the ones that most corals put out. The key is to use good quality carbon like ROX.08. Also to THOROUGHLY rinse the carbon before use in the tank, otherwise it can lead to HLLE in some fish.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Media is used as there is a need for it in the tank.

Heaters you'll need 2, I use eheim and a heater controller like inkbird.

Salt what ever is readily available and relatively cheap like instant ocean. Salt is Salt. There is no magic brand.
Two heaters just for 52 litres? Or do you mean one as a back up?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two heaters just for 52 litres? Or do you mean one as a back up?
I actually have 3. 2 in my tank, one set from 77-78, backup set for 76-77 in case of main failure. Third is used to heat water used during water changes.

The number one cause of mechanical tank failure is heaters.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new system!

for heaters, I can recommend both of these from personal experience:. I prefer titanium over glass for durability...

Helio heater system. Excellent controllability, and audible alarms for hi/low temp and if the element runs dry. Magnetic mount is awesome.

Finnex titanium. More bare bones than helio system, but work great in my experience.

For media, I definitely recommend a quality carbon. It generally can't hurt anything, only help BRS Rox is good

Filter floss, this stuff works great I use it in my frag system. Cheap and easy to cut to size, just toss it and replace it regularly.

For salt, I agree with using instant ocean, never had an issue with it. I actually switched to it from Red Sea black bucket because I wasn't getting the stability I wanted with the more expensive salt.

How about lighting and flow, are you all set there? Products for cycling? How about RO/DI?

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new system!

for heaters, I can recommend both of these from personal experience:. I prefer titanium over glass for durability...

Helio heater system. Excellent controllability, and audible alarms for hi/low temp and if the element runs dry. Magnetic mount is awesome.

Finnex titanium. More bare bones than helio system, but work great in my experience.

For media, I definitely recommend a quality carbon. It generally can't hurt anything, only help BRS Rox is good

Filter floss, this stuff works great I use it in my frag system. Cheap and easy to cut to size, just toss it and replace it regularly.

For salt, I agree with using instant ocean, never had an issue with it. I actually switched to it from Red Sea black bucket because I wasn't getting the stability I wanted with the more expensive salt.

How about lighting and flow, are you all set there? Products for cycling?
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I’m using the stock light that comes with the Fluval evo 13.5. For flow I’m upgrading the return pump as that should be enough without needing a wavemaker. I’m going to use atm colony for cycling.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Instant Ocean reef crystals for salt, works great for me. I do use carbon, though I know some do not. I use it because it really does make a big difference in clarity of water, as well as remove toxins, including the ones that most corals put out. The key is to use good quality carbon like ROX.08. Also to THOROUGHLY rinse the carbon before use in the tank, otherwise it can lead to HLLE in some fish.
Thanks I’ll have a look

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I’m using the stock light that comes with the Fluval evo 13.5. For flow I’m upgrading the return pump as that should be enough without needing a wavemaker. I’m going to use atm colony for cycling.
cool - i also added another edit, how about an RO/DI unit?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 178 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back