Should a protein skimmer always produce scum

Ssdangeranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My protien skimmer doesn't always seem to produce scum. It seems it only produces scum a few hours after i feed my fish and corals. Is this normal? Is my tank water that clean?

Jdodson11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good thing, how many fish and corals do you have? What size tank and what skimmer are you using? I think the skimmer is working and just removing all the crap, once the crap is removed there is nothing left, one way to tell is dump some of the skimmate back into the tank and watch to see if you skimmer starts to foam and produce skimmate. When I do this my skimmer instantly skins out the crud, then nothing after that.

OP
OP
S

Ssdangeranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a built in skimmer on my HOB refugium it has a 250 gph pump. My aquarium is a 55 gallon. I got 2 many fish to count and like 5 corals

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its part of a HOB, its definately not going to be meant to handle alot of fish. Do you have it adjusted properly? What pump is it using? Needle Wheel? What are your Nitrate readings? If its working properly you wont have any Trates.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my understanding that skimmers do not remove nitrates. They have no capacity to interact with NO3-. They only remove organic compounds, which upon decay become ammonia, which is broken down to nitrites by bacteria, which is broken down to nitrates by other bacteria. Am I wrong?

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my understanding that skimmers do not remove nitrates. They have no capacity to interact with NO3-. They only remove organic compounds, which upon decay become ammonia, which is broken down to nitrites by bacteria, which is broken down to nitrates by other bacteria. Am I wrong?

Correct. They also remove dead bacteria that feed on nitrate, that's why a strong skimmer is required for carbon dosing.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you are correct. And if you have a big enough skimmer it removes all those bad elements before they are able to create an issues with Nitrates, thus keeping your Nitrates null and void.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back