Should I be concerned? Is this ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Reef Rally Pro is pretty mild, it wouldn’t be expected to kill fish outright, but being mild, it may not always stop active disease.
Tough to say about finishing the quarantine or running a second cycle with the new fish. At the very least, I would watch the current clown for 14 days to ensure there is no relapse of the immediate issue.
Jay

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Reef Rally Pro is pretty mild, it wouldn’t be expected to kill fish outright, but being mild, it may not always stop active disease.
Tough to say about finishing the quarantine or running a second cycle with the new fish. At the very least, I would watch the current clown for 14 days to ensure there is no relapse of the immediate issue.
Jay
Do you have any other thoughts to what may have killed both of them? The sick clown was obviously already sick, but the gramma was pretty lively and totally fine before the Ruby Rally Bath.

As for possibly getting another clownfish, and quarantining him with the current one, what would you recommend for treatment? Copper Power?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It not being a cure is understandable, but shouldn't we boost the immunity system anyway the same way we basically do to humans? And if not mistaken, garlic attracts difficult-to-eat fish and increases chances of eating (therefore reducing chances of it starving?).

Who says it boost the immune system? What does "boost" even mean?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other thoughts to what may have killed both of them? The sick clown was obviously already sick, but the gramma was pretty lively and totally fine before the Ruby Rally Bath.

As for possibly getting another clownfish, and quarantining him with the current one, what would you recommend for treatment? Copper Power?
IDK for sure, but I’m leaning towards Brooklynella. The open mouth breathing on the gramma is a sign or that or flukes, but the clowns seemed to have ha Brook.
Jay

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081

I am going to try to start treatment today if I can find . I just want to make sure I have the procedure right and have some questions answered about some steps

Step 1. If I can find formalin, I first dip the fish in this.

Question: Do I dip all fish? Or just the clown with visible signs? How long do I “dip” for? Is it a quick drop in and out? Or is it like 10 seconds? 30 seconds? Minute?

Step 1 (Alt Version). Quick dip of fish in freshwater or saltwater at same temp as tank.

Question: same question as before, so I dip all fish? And for how long.

Step 2. Quick dip in saltwater to rinse off formalin before adding to QT tank.

Step 3. Add Ruby Rally Pro as instructed on bottle.

Step 4. Leave display tank empty for 4-6 weeks.

Follow up questions: some people are saying it’s fine to treat in main display because it’s reef safe. Is this worth doing? Is that really safe?

Paraguard is a safer alternative than formalin and should work based off the ingredients and my experience.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back