Should I be concerned with this in my tank?

jaymoe17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added some clownfish 2 days ago. The tank is cycled and ammonia is now at 0, nitrites 0, nitrates ~5, salinity at 1.022, and temp at 77. Based on my research this could be brown algae since the tank is super new, Around 1.5 months old.

My concern is diatoms vs dinos, and how to tell what I’m specifically looking at and whether or not I should be concerned for the clowns.

Should I make an attempt to remove these? Should I let this run its course? Should I be concerned for the fish? Online I see people talking about removing them or just letting them go. There also seems to be some grey area in terms of whether or not they are harmful (for Dino’s).

Any advice?

IMG_3052.jpeg IMG_3054.jpeg IMG_3053.jpeg IMG_3056.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. If they overwhelm the tank should I be concerned?
They are harmless and will cover your tank and go away in a few weeks when the silicate in your sand is gone and you are using RODI. You're going to have a variety or ugly phases over the course of the first year with a new tank.

OP
OP
J

jaymoe17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are harmless and will cover your tank and go away in a few weeks when the silicate in your sand is gone and you are using RODI. You're going to have a variety or ugly phases over the course of the first year with a new tank.
If I don’t have access to rodi (filtered water and comditioner) would that affect their growth rate?

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don’t have access to rodi (filtered water and comditioner) would that affect their growth rate?
Will likely have continuing issues. You will be continuing to add the silicates into the water sustaining them, and a few others.

OP
OP
J

jaymoe17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will likely have continuing issues. You will be continuing to add the silicates into the water sustaining them, and a few others.
Ah.
I would highly recommend an RODI set up. It's actually the very first thing I'm gonna buy when I start my reboot.
yea i definitely know that it’s preferred. I’ll see about grabbing one.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back