Should I change my manifold design to this new idea?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my current return pump manifold set up in the second picture attached, but I have noticed I lost a lot of power due to all the corners, I didn't think this though the first time well enough I guess. So I thought about changing it completely to the new design I drew out in the first image. I want to insert a T fitting to separate the manifold for when not in use, but also to allow for much less corner fittings. I wanted to add another corner piece, where I pointed it out in the drawing, to face forward for another gate/ball valve output. And then have an end piece to cap the end. But my question is would this cause less head pressure and be more efficient than what I have now? Will the T piece cause a lot of power loss or will it be fine? I currently have a Varios-4 return pump running at max power. thanks!

new manifold design-01.jpg IMG_2388.jpeg

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we'd need to see how you plan to connect the entire loop.
So I was thinking I could make it like so, with a cap at the end after the manifold ball or gate valves. So it would be close loop? I think that’s what it’s called but I don’t know. And like I said before, I would include another ball valve right after the T connection so I could cut off the manifold if I’m not using it, would that work? The red lines are the inside corners of my stand, just fyi.

Attachments

• 5B1DBAD8-35B3-4DAE-80B7-B47C98220EF2.jpeg
    5B1DBAD8-35B3-4DAE-80B7-B47C98220EF2.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 67

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the water flow would just empty back into the sump or return pump chamber? Yeah, this would certainly improve your flow. I'm just wondering if a Y junction would be more efficient than a T junction.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the water flow would just empty back into the sump or return pump chamber? Yeah, this would certainly improve your flow. I'm just wondering if a Y junction would be more efficient than a T junction.
Sorry but this is what meant for what I would put at the end on the manifold where I wrote ‘endcap’ in my last drawing. so it would not have an exit for water to flow out of. But yes then the water coming out of whatever I have connected to the manifold would empty into the sump.

I thought this would allow for better flow compared to what I have now. I just wasnt sure if this is an okay way to plumb a manifold.

Attachments

• 20527131-E2CC-4402-B77F-05201CC7B52F.jpeg
    20527131-E2CC-4402-B77F-05201CC7B52F.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 55

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back