Should I do something with these Zoas or are they okay?

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this little colony of Zoas from my LFS and they were wide open when I got them. I dipped them when I put them in and they were happy for about a week. Then they started closing up more and more. I have dipped them 2 more times since they closed up. I don’t see any pests on them. At one point I had a little sand blowing on them from a misplaced power head but it’s been over a week and they aren’t opening at all. I cant recall if they were already closing a bit before the powerhead incident. I also tried lightly blowing them off and lightly scrubbing them. Is the
B443CA6B-3F3C-4EE2-A0AA-C033352B91EB.jpeg
brown on them a little algae maybe? They are in a lower flow lower light area and my other Zoas and other corals are looking good. All of my parameters appear to be solid. Any advice?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this little colony of Zoas from my LFS and they were wide open when I got them. I dipped them when I put them in and they were happy for about a week. Then they started closing up more and more. I have dipped them 2 more times since they closed up. I don’t see any pests on them. At one point I had a little sand blowing on them from a misplaced power head but it’s been over a week and they aren’t opening at all. I cant recall if they were already closing a bit before the powerhead incident. I also tried lightly blowing them off and lightly scrubbing them. Is the
brown on them a little algae maybe? They are in a lower flow lower light area and my other Zoas and other corals are looking good. All of my parameters appear to be solid. Any advice?
The algae is growing over them because theyve been closed for so long. About all you can do is reposition them once every week or so until they open. If the algae gets worse the polyps are probably already melted inside their closed mesolgea.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion is you are doing too much and bothering them. Some of my zoas will re open right away. Some stay closed longer.

Coral likes to be left alone most of the time.

OP
OP
woodyarmadillo

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion is you are doing too much and bothering them. Some of my zoas will re open right away. Some stay closed longer.

Haha, I’m sure you’re right. I left them alone for about 4 days before I started messing with them but I think I’ll just leave them alone and see what happens. Thanks

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure you’re right. I left them alone for about 4 days before I started messing with them but I think I’ll just leave them alone and see what happens. Thanks
Yeah. I fragged some of mine. Took 2 weeks to re open.

Zoas are hardy. They'll survive if you leave them alone . That little bit of slime algae is nothing.

OP
OP
woodyarmadillo

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I was trying to figure out if my micromussa was a lord and it turns out that it was a Favia and it was about 2” away from this colony. Now I’m thinking that it was sending out sweepers at night and hitting this colony so I moved the Favia. Hopefully that colony of Zoas improves now.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.7%
Back