Should i feed Zoa's when in quarantine?

Reefer Madness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, i apologise for not putting up a tank thread since joining CZ back in August, (the "Zoo Cube" is now up and running) but i will sort that out in the next week or so.

O.K., because of the problems Shultz is having with the Sea Spiders, i decided to set up a small four gallon quarantine tank.
All that is in the QT tank is a small filter and a powerhead (800 l/ph) and a 100 watt heater also some Rowaphos and that's it.
I had intended to FW dip each colony and QT them for at least two weeks, one at a time, however i came across three that i liked, so at the moment i have three smallish colonies in there.
So since they have to stay in there for a couple of weeks, and there is nothing else in the tank, should i be feeding them or will they be o.k.

any help or advice would be appreciated,

regards,

Pete.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Pete.. welcome to club-zoa... :)

if it was me, I would just let them settle and watch for any suspicious critters.. hopefully your QT is BB.. mine is so if there are any predators or unwanted critters, I can see them right away.. if you see a cluster of polyps closed due to a suspected predator, I would FW dip them every 4-5 days for 3 weeks... btw, BB means you need to have a little more flow than normal so detrius won't settle in one spot..

good luck with your battle and hope this works for you..

OP
OP
R

Reefer Madness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply Marvin.
Yes the QT tank is BB and no problem with detritus.
I carried out a 5 minute dip with fresh RO, which by the way was not buffered to PH 8.2, and no Lugols either, because of the christmas post, no problems at all and they all opened up within an hour.
However i do intend to do a final dip with Lugols.
All i got off the three colonies were copepods and one small crab, i could not see any signs of nudi eggs, but this is the first time i have dipped any zoas so i may have missed some the first time around.
Well at least there where no sea spiders, well not initially anyway.
O.K., so no need to feed them at all whilst in QT?

cheers,

Pete.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you gonna share your tank with us.....To be honest I have never seen an actual zoanthid sp eat anything although they say oyster eggs can eilisit a feeding response. I know that palys and protopalys will eat but not zoanthids. IF they are just zoanthid polyps I would say no food at all no reason to help polute a small thank. If they are palys or protopalys then you can feed in small quanities. I have tried to feed genireal zoanthid polyps and have never seen them eat anything...I have tried cyclop-eeze, oyster eggs, golden perals and nothing that I can tell happened so I quite trying and just give them the best water I can.....Hope that helps abit.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back