should i get a walk around tank?

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been seeing this 100 gal display walk around tank on fb marketplace, they have 4 orphek light bars and a red sea skimmer, the only thing missing is the sump but i feel like i can either make it or buy one on fb market place, i dont know if there are any downsides to a walk around tank but i would plan to put it against the wall since thats all the room i ca spare for it. but im not sure if its worth buying , its 600$ for the whole things but should i get it? i only have a red sea 20g and i can post pictures if needed

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been seeing this 100 gal display walk around tank on fb marketplace, they have 4 orphek light bars and a red sea skimmer, the only thing missing is the sump but i feel like i can either make it or buy one on fb market place, i dont know if there are any downsides to a walk around tank but i would plan to put it against the wall since thats all the room i ca spare for it. but im not sure if its worth buying , its 600$ for the whole things but should i get it? i only have a red sea 20g and i can post pictures if needed
What do you mean by “walk around tank”? I assume it’s a peninsula? If so, I don’t see why not — if you put it against the wall, I would tape the back wall for aesthetics.

I would check the age of the tank, current condition, seams (triple check), perform water leak test, etc. I believe that it will be hard to advise by looking at the pictures though. Lastly, I wouldn’t make my sole decision on the purchase price — that is: a tank leak might cost more than $600!

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by “walk around tank”? I assume it’s a peninsula? If so, I don’t see why not — if you put it against the wall, I would tape the back wall for aesthetics.

I would check the age of the tank, current condition, seams (triple check), perform water leak test, etc. I believe that it will be hard to advise by looking at the pictures though. Lastly, I wouldn’t make my sole decision on the purchase price — that is: a tank leak might cost more than $600!
i mean its more of a tank that has 4 sides and can be viewed from all angles, its supposed to be a center piece. but if i tell you how long its been out or how old it is do you think you can tell me if it will be ok? i can ask to let them do a water test

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the dimensions. Can you reach the back glass if one edge is against the wall?

Otherwise, how far away is the tank and how will you get it home?

Use lots of cardboard to protect the edges and bottom if it’s made of glass and inspect the seams closely to detect any gaps or bobbling inside the seams.

Get a picture when you get it, cause you know you want it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean its more of a tank that has 4 sides and can be viewed from all angles, its supposed to be a center piece. but if i tell you how long its been out or how old it is do you think you can tell me if it will be ok? i can ask to let them do a water test
Where’s the overflow?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
iM ASSUMING CYLINDER TANK - ANY PICS?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I thought that too but Google has a square peninsula tank made to sit in the middle of a room. Something new as far as naming?
That is known as Peninsula. Mine had plumbing through the floor.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the picture btw
IMG_8438.jpeg
IMG_8437.jpeg

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a rimless tank. I guess you could walk around it. the glass looks to be green
That’s what it was advertised to them so they called it that, is the glass being green a bad thing?
Also I’m not entirely sure if he can fill. Up with test water as there’s no sump to circulate

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no it’s just green if you like it buy it, it personally would drive me crazy to look at. Both acrylic and starfire will scratch easier bbut pretty easy to not scratch a tank

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no it’s just green if you like it buy it, it personally would drive me crazy to look at. Both acrylic and starfire will scratch easier bbut pretty easy to not scratch a tank
yeah i see what you mean, i just want a bigger aquarium and thought it was a good price but now im not too sure where to get one or wait for something to come by

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s missing the over flow that goes in the back corner.. depending how you wanna set it up that would determine everything…
i saw that he had a pipe running inside like a skimmer for the surface, i was thinking about changing it to a corner tower overflow

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s missing the over flow that goes in the back corner.. depending how you wanna set it up that would determine everything…
There might be the overflow tubing in that small tank next to the big tank. Maybe that's the sump?

So it’s not worth it then? Does it make a huge difference in viewing or scratches easily? I’m not too sure
Nathan, If you buy the tank, make sure the seller shows you how the overflow is set up and that all the parts are there.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There might be the overflow tubing in that small tank next to the big tank. Maybe that's the sump?

Nathan, If you buy the tank, make sure the seller shows you how the overflow is set up and that all the parts are there.
thank you scott, but the seller told me they're using the sump for a different tank but i think i can either diy one or get one on fb marketplace, and yes i will ask how the sump works, i think its one going in and another going out but i might plan on drilling another hole for an emergency overflow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back