Should I move my bubble tip anemone?

Smarshy26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently introduced a bubble tip nem to the tank and after a day or so of exploring the tank, he decided to move in to this tiny little structure, where he'll receive no light and very little food. Any ideas what I should do? Will he figure this out and move on his own? I worry that he's stuck. Any thoughts much appreciated -
8D3A2E21-0A9D-40DC-9848-D62DC41C9993.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will move as it feels like it. You likely won't be able to remove it without injuring it anyway.

I've had some "hide" for months and then just show up in the open one day. It is fine.

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi all, I recently introduced a bubble tip nem to the tank and after a day or so of exploring the tank, he decided to move in to this tiny little structure, where he'll receive no light and very little food. Any ideas what I should do? Will he figure this out and move on his own? I worry that he's stuck. Any thoughts much appreciated -
Don't move it. it'll stress it out and you may damage it. It will move when it's ready

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not stuck and looks healthy. I'd give it some time to figure things out. If it starts going downhill, you can intervene at that point.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ornaments like this typically are found in fresh water tanks.

A reef tank is a replication of the coral reef environment, and, everything in a reef tank from sand, to live rock to lighting to filtration contribute to that delicate, self-contained ecology.

Decorative ornaments like this offer nothing to the tank other than being aesthetically pleasing. So I would recommend pulling it from the tank once the Anemone vacates the piece.

Anemones move around the tank in search of ideal conditions for it to thrive.

Let it be. It may move out.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone hid in a cave/ overhang like structure for months, (all natural looking reef type structure) they do find there own ideal spot so I agree with most
Let it find itself in your aquarium.
It has its own foot and will move very quickly and sometimes slowly.
In regards to decorative piece, it looks great, similar to sunken ships on ocean floor :)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They go where they want. You move it, you injure the foot, the foot gets infected, anemone decline and dies. This is worst case scenerio.
Next, you move the anemone. They go back to the same spot. Or, into a cave out of spite.
Let em be.

OP
OP
S

Smarshy26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ornaments like this typically are found in fresh water tanks.

A reef tank is a replication of the coral reef environment, and, everything in a reef tank from sand, to live rock to lighting to filtration contribute to that delicate, self-contained ecology.

Decorative ornaments like this offer nothing to the tank other than being aesthetically pleasing. So I would recommend pulling it from the tank once the Anemone vacates the piece.

Anemones move around the tank in search of ideal conditions for it to thrive.

Let it be. It may move out.
Yeah that's fair, it's a relic from an old freshwater tank and I put it in there when the reef tank was first cycling to host some bacteria, and maybe be an nice hiding spot for a shrimp. Should've taken it out by now - learned my lesson.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's fair, it's a relic from an old freshwater tank and I put it in there when the reef tank was first cycling to host some bacteria, and maybe be an nice hiding spot for a shrimp. Should've taken it out by now - learned my lesson.

Well... nothing bad happened by putting it in there, except for maybe the bubble tip going in there. ;)

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's YOUR tank... have in it what you like.

OP
OP
S

Smarshy26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that 1 anemone or 2? Wow if that's 1 he's really in there huh?
It's only 1! I saw him rubbing up against it for a couple hours the other night, and then the next morning he was fully inside! He's definitely filling that space, haha

Tariq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across a nifty trick to move an anemone without injuring its foot. Point a powerhead toward the anemone base. In a few minutes, it will let itself loose.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back