Should I pull up the carpet from under the tank?

Should I Pull up the Carpet from Under the Tank?

• Total voters

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty large tank, will be around 700 gallons. So should I cut the carpet under the stand and have the stand sit directly on the concrete? Or just leave the carpet in place?

IMG_6089.jpeg

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not only would I pull the carpet, but I would lay some tile that compliments the color of the carpet and put the tank on it. I would have about 3 feet or so all around the tank. The tank will be more level and you will save the existing carpet from stains, mildew and possibly a bad smell. Eventually in time you will realize putting a salt water tank anywhere near carpet was a bad idea and tearing it down to place the tile will be a dreaded nightmare.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are gonna make me do more work :crying-face::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I moved into a condo that had carpet around the toilet in the downstairs bathroom. That room smelled much better after I installed linoleum in the room. I never asked permission. If the management couldn’t smell 15yrs of accumulated splashes then I wouldn’t expect them to notice the new linoleum either.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I moved into a condo that had carpet around the toilet in the downstairs bathroom. That room smelled much better after I installed linoleum in the room. I never asked permission. If the management couldn’t smell 15yrs of accumulated splashes then I wouldn’t expect them to notice the new linoleum either.
Ooof! That’s gross haha

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know that the carpet under the tank makes much difference as far as leveling. It’s probably already 90% “crushed” just from the weight of your stand.

It may hold water or odors more than concrete. So that would be a negative.

You might talk to a flooring guy and see if it makes any difference to them if you eventually put in new carpet or tile in that room.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo I would take it out and replace with tile . I have my tank on tile and even as careful as one can be , I alway seem to get water on the floor from time to time. And if it gets under the carpet and in the pad , it will get gross and stinky!! :grimacing-face:

Last edited:

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill come over tomorrow with popcorn and soda lol totally kidding but maybe chalk line the stand so you have your cut points. If going 3in perimeter measure the three and then chalkline and boom...

giphy (12).gif
source.gif

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty large tank, will be around 700 gallons. So should I cut the carpet under the stand and have the stand sit directly on the concrete? Or just leave the carpet in place?

IMG_6089.jpeg
Curious why your stand/sump area has two levels

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove carpet. Replace with tile or LVP. Then install tank. After you get it up and running at 700 gal you'll be glad you did it.
i wouldnt use LVP...at least the type that is designed to float...it needs to expand and contract or it could buckle, especially with the legs of a tank that weighs that much on it...heck glued down custom vinyl tile buckled under my washing machine legs

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m just going to cut the carpet under the stand and have the legs/feet sit right on the concrete floor. The carpet around the stand I’m not too worried about. If it gets gross in the future, then I’ll pull it out and address it.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an even worse type of flooring, cork planks. They were in the room before the tanks and I just put the tanks on top. Well, after splashing water and the planks no longer "floating" from the weight of the tanks, they buckled and warped. I imagine carpet will collect mold and salt creep. Better to have plain concrete, or vinyl non floating flooring for a fish room, imo.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back