Should I rehome cherub angel?

SamiBlue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so a little less than a week ago I added a cherub angel/Atlantic pygmy angel to my 39 gallon bowfront. Compared to the mandarin, citron goby and firefish housed with it he swims around the tank like a madman and adds a lot of life to the tank. The problem is that he bothers my firefish to the point that I barely see it anymore because it hides out in the rockwork. That firefish is the first saltwater fish I got in the hobby so I really don't want to get rid of him. Will they eventually work themselves out or should I try a different pygmy angel?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so a little less than a week ago I added a cherub angel/Atlantic pygmy angel to my 39 gallon bowfront. Compared to the mandarin, citron goby and firefish housed with it he swims around the tank like a madman and adds a lot of life to the tank. The problem is that he bothers my firefish to the point that I barely see it anymore because it hides out in the rockwork. That firefish is the first saltwater fish I got in the hobby so I really don't want to get rid of him. Will they eventually work themselves out or should I try a different pygmy angel?

The problem is you introduced a very active and semi-aggressive fish to a relatively cramped tank of very small and peaceful fish (other than the mandy which will become a big fat fish someday). The tank you have isn't the best footprint for any angel (bowfronts tend to be really narrow). I had a Flame Angel in my 36 bowfront with nearly identical tank mates and it was a complete jerk to them. If you want color and activity in that tank with something less spastic, it might be worth looking into a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (although tank might be a bit cramped long term):

OP
OP
SamiBlue

SamiBlue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is you introduced a very active and semi-aggressive fish to a relatively cramped tank of very small and peaceful fish (other than the mandy which will become a big fat fish someday). The tank you have isn't the best footprint for any angel (bowfronts tend to be really narrow). I had a Flame Angel in my 36 bowfront with nearly identical tank mates and it was a complete jerk to them. If you want color and activity in that tank with something less spastic, it might be worth looking into a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (although tank might be a bit cramped long term):

Thanks so much for responding! I'll return the angel ASAP. Are there any other water column swimmers you'd suggest that wouldn't be mean to a firefish?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My potters was in a 25g for QT/conditioning and it was going crazy swimming along the glass....afraid of me ..and didn't want to eat and so on. Once it went into my 80g...it's like it became a different fish. Picks along the rock instead of racing along the glass....is out and in view...and begs for food now.

skiwez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not going to be easy adding an active swimming fish to that mix and not expecting the firefish not to hide. That's their natural defense mechanism. Even if the new addition doesn't bully the firefish, just the fact it swims by will have it retreat into its hole

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been less than a week. As long as the firefish is still eating, I would give it more time.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for responding! I'll return the angel ASAP. Are there any other water column swimmers you'd suggest that wouldn't be mean to a firefish?

Chromis can be great peaceful (not so much to each other) dither fish.

OP
OP
SamiBlue

SamiBlue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a pintail or crescent tail fairy wrasse be a good addition instead?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a pintail or crescent tail fairy wrasse be a good addition instead?

I suppose if you have the funds on the Crescent Tail (pintail gets too big) and are willing to risk it, both fish are much more expensive. One of the reasons I suggested the Lubbock's was because it stays smaller and is much cheaper than the other alternatives you mentioned (ie $35-$40 vs well over $100). I suppose you could also look into a McCosker's or Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse.

OP
OP
SamiBlue

SamiBlue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose if you have the funds on the Crescent Tail (pintail gets too big) and are willing to risk it, both fish are much more expensive. One of the reasons I suggested the Lubbock's was because it stays smaller and is much cheaper than the other alternatives you mentioned (ie $35-$40 vs well over $100). I suppose you could also look into a McCosker's or Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse.
Hmm.. I might try a McCosker's down the road... but only after getting a nicer fitting lid!!
Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back