Should I restart?

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I posted the other day about purchasing new coral for my 6 month old tank. Well, most if not all have died and I’m dumbfounded on the issue. I tested alk, nitrate, phosphate, ammonia and ph and all come back normal; but I cannot keep coral alive? I have two clowns and a fire fish in my 20 gallon, but it seems that’s all I’m able to keep alive.

My tank is covered in what I think is some type of Dino, but it’s been a never ending battle with this. Should I just restart?

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates bottomed out may have a big part of it along with being relatively new tank. What kinds of corals did you try? How long did it take for the corals to stress or die?
I tried a hammer, mushroom, toadstool, and a Kenya tree. It took less than 48 hours for all of them to wither away.

OP
OP
S

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is very wrong then. How are you doing water changes/making water? Have you checked every single thing that has a magnet for rust?
I haven’t checked everything yet, but I have my RODI unit hooked up to my 5 gal bucket, and mix it to 1.025 salinity at the same temp as the tank.. I have a magnet on the outside of the tank holding wave maker; but that’s it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello!

I posted the other day about purchasing new coral for my 6 month old tank. Well, most if not all have died and I’m dumbfounded on the issue. I tested alk, nitrate, phosphate, ammonia and ph and all come back normal; but I cannot keep coral alive? I have two clowns and a fire fish in my 20 gallon, but it seems that’s all I’m able to keep alive.

My tank is covered in what I think is some type of Dino, but it’s been a never ending battle with this. Should I just restart?

image.jpg
Allow tank the run normal for a few weeks before attempting coral and monitor water in which current conditions are satisfactory if accurate
Other factors affecting coral will; be light and flow as well as use of tap water and poor quality stock

OP
OP
S

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow tank the run normal for a few weeks before attempting coral and monitor water in which current conditions are satisfactory if accurate
Other factors affecting coral will; be light and flow as well as use of tap water and poor quality stock
I’ll continue on, fighting the diatoms in the mean time. I have the light on acclimation mode as well.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t checked everything yet, but I have my RODI unit hooked up to my 5 gal bucket, and mix it to 1.025 salinity at the same temp as the tank.. I have a magnet on the outside of the tank holding wave maker; but that’s it
If it has a magnet outside then there is one inside. Check all magnets. Have you confirmed that you get 0 TDS from your system? If this was just 48 hours ago, maybe they are just closed up and acclimating? Or did they like sloth off tissue and melt practically?

OP
OP
S

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has a magnet outside then there is one inside. Check all magnets. Have you confirmed that you get 0 TDS from your system? If this was just 48 hours ago, maybe they are just closed up and acclimating? Or did they like sloth off tissue and melt practically?
Not seeing any rust on the magnet included. I use the BRS ROD unit with the TDS meter included and it reads 0. I’m unsure, but all of them have exposed skeleton.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seeing any rust on the magnet included. I use the BRS ROD unit with the TDS meter included and it reads 0. I’m unsure, but all of them have exposed skeleton.
I temp acclimated for 15 minutes, and drip acclimated for 45
Okay then that’s good that your RODI system is solid. I agree that if a Kenya tree died then something is very wrong. Do you have a local fish store that can do some testing for you? Otherwise you may want to do an ICP test. Do you have any inverts in your tank?

OP
OP
S

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay then that’s good that your RODI system is solid. I agree that if a Kenya tree died then something is very wrong. Do you have a local fish store that can do some testing for you? Otherwise you may want to do an ICP test. Do you have any inverts in your tank?
Possibly? I purchased these coral from a LFS but I’m unsure if they do testing. I’ve read about the ICP tests, but will more than likely have one done. I have snails, but the emerald crab I had died.

OP
OP
S

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to wonder if my water is the issue. I have well water, and the pressure from the water line doesn’t meet the requirements for the RODI to work properly. Maybe it isn’t working fully?

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to wonder if my water is the issue. I have well water, and the pressure from the water line doesn’t meet the requirements for the RODI to work properly. Maybe it isn’t working fully?
That’s definitely a problem but more for your Di resin. What is your well water TDS from the tap? A booster pump would fix that problem.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude my tank looks way worse. The diatoms have taken up shop due to my use of Fluzocole for byropsis. I ordered some nitrates and phosphates and silica. I'm just going to get my numbers up and wait it out. BTW I did notice a dent since I started using the UV but NOT enough to warrant going out and spending more money on a unit. So just watch it all burn and one day it will be better.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back