Should I stop skimming?

To skim or not to skim

• Keep skimming away!

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Stop skimming and your zoas will thank you for it!

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

jafoca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 45 gallon propagation system I am running a fuge and a modified ASM mini-g skimmer. The skimmer has never really worked well, but I seem to have gotten it dialed in and is now pulling 1/2 cup of nasty skimmate a week.

So the question is... should I stop skimming? Some of you that have reported better growth don't seem to skim. Probably zoos like it.

I do have like 4 pieces of SPS in this tank, but I could move them to my display if I want (which is skimmed). LPS and other softies I'm guessing will not be bothered?

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skim heavily on my prop tank, it is about 40% sps, 20% lps, and 40% zoas/palys. It is essentially just a bacpak skimmer but I am running an air stone as well which works awesome. I can get nearly 2/3 of the cup full in a week.

But you are right, sps needs very good water quality, whereas lps and zoanthids really do not care. In my experience I have noticed crazy good growth in the most terrible conditions with my palys.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd continue to skim. Some of the nicest displays of zoas I've seen have been in heavily skimmed tanks. Hope this helps :)

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's many ways to run a tank. I've seen some amazing tanks that don't have skimmers but I've seen alot more that do skim. IMO you should keep skimming. I get some really good growth out of my zoa's/palys and my tank is heavily skimmed.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back