Should my first full-size aquarium be a reef tank?

Am I ready for a reef tank?

• No, get some experience on a full-size freshwater tank

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, reef tanks can be appropriate for beginners

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters

Vassal of Ulmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have years of freshwater experience, but always with tiny, easy-to-maintain aquariums around 2.5 to 5.5 gallons. No live plants. I'm thinking about getting a full-size aquarium. By full-size, I mean over 40 gallons. Probably 55 gal fresh or 120 gal salty.

I really want to get a reef tank - they're just so vibrant and colorful - but I also feel unqualified. I have a nagging feeling that I should get a freshwater community tank / planted tank instead, before attempting something more challenging and more expensive.

A reef tank is no doubt what I really want. But I fear that I could be in a world of hurt if I jump the gun, and attempt saltwater before mastering freshwater.

Thoughts?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger = more stable. I have a link to a killer deal on a 83g reef ready setup if you want. It’s 48x20x20, rimless, low iron glass, ghost overflow, sump, plumbing kit, auto top off, and a custom made cabinet.
Kits like this are nearly $3k and I can get it around 1500 shipped, sometimes there is an extra 10% off also.

raimundosantana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be affraid of reef tanks in your position. They aren't hard as you think, they just need good water quality. When you use RO/DI water and a good salt, it makes life easier.
The problem with big size tanks is price. Filling it with corals and fish, and getting good quality light, can be expensive. So do more research about the hobby and build a tank properly sized for your budget.

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A well done freshwater planted tank is not easy. Neither is a reef tank. They both require a commitment on your part to tend to the piece of nature you choose. That said, do research, slow changes, accept it may not look perfect immediately, bigger is better. If doing a reef, a minimum 75 gallons starts to give you some options, fish and aquascaping. Nano tanks are harder to keep stable.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with what you want; otherwise, staying engaged in the hobby will be hard. I failed miserably at freshwater because I didn't enjoy it nearly as much and eventually tore it down. I always wanted to do a Reef Tank but assumed it was too expensive and difficult.

Saltwater is only more challenging when comparing keeping corals vs fish. Otherwise, fresh vs salt is quite similar.

It's a good challenge though, it's why I stick around.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planted tanks are much harder than reefs in my experience. Plants grow too fast. :)

Any aquarium experience is fine.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually suggest full size reefing first. The tank size lends to more stability. I think if you are willing to do the work, you will have an awesome tank! You can do it!

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d either get a 10 or 20 gallon or jump up to a 4ft tank 75, 90, 120 et
the smaller tanks can actually be maintained via water changes only, don’t believe the hype otherwise…
As mentioned at 4ft your stocking options open up big time…we are talking ocean fish, many are small but most are much bigger than freshwater fish

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have years of freshwater experience, but always with tiny, easy-to-maintain aquariums around 2.5 to 5.5 gallons. No live plants. I'm thinking about getting a full-size aquarium. By full-size, I mean over 40 gallons. Probably 55 gal fresh or 120 gal salty.

I really want to get a reef tank - they're just so vibrant and colorful - but I also feel unqualified. I have a nagging feeling that I should get a freshwater community tank / planted tank instead, before attempting something more challenging and more expensive.

A reef tank is no doubt what I really want. But I fear that I could be in a world of hurt if I jump the gun, and attempt saltwater before mastering freshwater.

Thoughts?
My recommendation,

Do your research and set it up right from the start. You can check out my build thread for a very simple but effective setup. If you like saltwater go for it! Just go slow. Start with fish only and live rock. After about 6 months add an easy coral and see how it goes, then some LPS, then maybe sps last if it goes well.

Nothing wrong with a fish only tank too. Great way to start and can be converted easily to reef in the future.

metro6775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I think to myself I should have stayed with my freshwater african cichlid setup. It was so easy and beautiful, but I think that is why I ended up here. It was too easy. Anyway, I would start out with a smaller reef tank. Bigger tanks are more forgiving but also much more expensive.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

Thoughts?
adding invertebrates may actually be an easier tank to take care of than a fish only tank - with regards to algae, etc.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had anywhere to put it that tank @VintageReefer is talking about would be in my house. Such a good deal on a tank!

Mines in my garage while I make room for it lol. Couldn’t pass up the deal

This is it if anyones wondering
C766FB6E-F84D-4EE0-BFCE-C13A52A60595.jpeg
A1AAB9D9-5B50-41A4-A3E9-EE6479E2DBE9.jpeg
6E211B3A-B42E-4A13-940F-051CFD4B9429.jpeg
7816E95C-41ED-4095-B1AA-B59C141A5648.jpeg

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reef tank is no doubt what I really want...
Then I say go for it.
I have no freshwater experience (other than my kids maybe having a couple/few betta years ago) and I feel like I'm doing OK with a simple setup.

Research first, of course, and this site is a good resource.
Beyond that, just go slow and learn as you go (IMO).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I kind of like the simplicity of an All-in-one tank. as a compromise. my experience with them has been positive. I agree with others - starting a reef tank - is not harder than starting a specialized FW tank (like discus, etc) The prices for the stuff inside the tank is more expensive (i.e. rock, fish, inverts, coral)

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thoughts?
Get what YOU really want.
Then you will be happy.
Reef tanks do not have to be difficult.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back