show me your PE's...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as I know there are only so many morphs of PE's that I've been seeing lately.. I'll try to list the ones I know.. if I missed any, please feel free to add and I'll update the main post and maybe sticky it later on...

1. PPE
2. RPE (True and Plain)
3. GPE (True and Plain)
4. Chameleon PE / Zombie PE
5. Desert Fox PE
6. PRPE

**Erased Mystery PE since I thought it was the PE's we see at LFS that morphs into different PE's but I guess there's already Mystery PE's I forgot about.. my bad.. :)

anything I'm missing?

Marvin

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's some pics of what I have...

PPE
PPE.jpg

Plain RPE
2nd_RPE.jpg

Mystery PE morphing to Desert Fox.. I think..
2nd_PEs.jpg

Chameleon PE / Zombie PE
Zombie_PE.jpg

early stage of Mystery PE.. dunno what it's going to morph yet..
Zoas_TFG_GreenPE.jpg

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maroonytunes said:
If I can get good pictures I will post them.
I have Desert Fox Pe
Pink Pe
Plain GPE

sweet.. I would love to see them.. :)

thanks...

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try and get some pics tonight of the Pink Pe and Plain Gpe, and maybe the desert foxes, it is like impossible to get a picture of, the polyps are flipped over, facing the cc.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maroonytunes said:
I will try and get some pics tonight of the Pink Pe and Plain Gpe, and maybe the desert foxes, it is like impossible to get a picture of, the polyps are flipped over, facing the cc.

I've never seen a good pic of the Pink PE so it'll be awesome to see a pic of it.. :)

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a few

I call them purple stardust under vho
aug06040.jpg

RPE under vho
aug06022.jpg

purple & green PE it should morph to a GPE with purple skirt???under vho
aug06024.jpg

Orange/morphing to pink in the center under bright light.
A few have said that this is not a PE but it has a yellow/green mouth slit.under 10k mh
aug06084.jpg

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get some posted later, if I can get some better pics.

When you say mystery PE's that can morph to Desert Fox, Chameleon PE's, etc., you mean different mystery PE's, right?

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Milky Way PE...or so I call it (double polyp)
123_2381.jpg

The less colorful LFS version with Electric Orange PE on the left
123_2379.jpg

Magic PE...I call them that since they magically appeared on a piece of live rock out of nowhere. Unlike Desert Fox types, they get colorless brown splotches over the green disc, as seen on the left polyp
123_2335.jpg

Red Rim PPE on left, Emerald PE on right
123_2327.jpg

Electric Orange PE
123_2305.jpg

Similar to Desert Fox, but without spots
f992ff18.jpg

Dull Orange PE
reef5.jpg

Jon

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jonbar1

when did you start calling those orange PE's? do you have a comparison picture that shows an orange PE beside a red PE? what lights are they all under?

these are an unknown mystery PE. i only know one place that has them, and dont know a single person who has them ;)

(not my picture)
purple%20blue%20people%20eaters.jpg

here is a group shot of some PE's in my tank a couple months ago.
left: PRPE
center: RPE
right: uknown (TPE - Twon's PE's)
PRPE%20and%20RPE.jpg

IME....PRPE's can vary a TON depending on the light and tank conditions.
left: RPE
center: PRPE frag that came from colony under PC's (pic taken 1 day after putting in my tank)
right: PRPE frag that came from same colony under PC's, but has been under intense 10k MH for several months.

(PRPE frag in middle and right came from exact same colony)
PRPE%20compared.jpg

and here is what they look like now under my 250w HQI Radium
PRPEs.jpg

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The electric orange ones came from Ultimatefrags, and no I don't have any RPE to compare them with. They are under PC lighting, and admittedly more orange in person, but not bright pumpkin orange either. I've seen pics of dull orange RPE and bright fire engine red RPE, so the jury is still out on this one. Had I had an extra $500 when I placed my ReefEnvy order, I'd settle the comparison once and for all.

The dull orange ones, are just that, dull. They are more orange than any other color, but still a dull orangish brownish undesirible color. Under halides, I'd imagine them to be DDB PE.

The Mystery PE above just look like typical "spotless Desert Foxes" under high k or actinic lighting(look at the orange coral next to them).
Jon

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jonbar1 said:
The electric orange ones came from Ultimatefrags, and no I don't have any RPE to compare them with. They are under PC lighting, and admittedly more orange in person, but not bright pumpkin orange either. I've seen pics of dull orange RPE and bright fire engine red RPE, so the jury is still out on this one. Had I had an extra $500 when I placed my ReefEnvy order, I'd settle the comparison once and for all.

The dull orange ones, are just that, dull. They are more orange than any other color, but still a dull orangish brownish undesirible color. Under halides, I'd imagine them to be DDB PE.

The Mystery PE above just look like typical "spotless Desert Foxes" under high k or actinic lighting(look at the orange coral next to them).
Jon

good points. i'm glad you are aware of the OPE misconceptions. and IMO...i think ultimatefrags is full of it on the OPE thing, and just trying to profit off of the rarity of orange color. they were just riding a recently popular named OPE on ZoaID that is in fact an RPE.

its all about the lighting, as people have mistaken my RPE's as OPE's when they were under 10k's.
RPE%20closeup.jpg

i just dont know about those mystery PE's. i do see your point in that they may be a desert fox morph in which the green center has not colored up completely. i may have to buy a frag to find out ;)

**oh yeah, that orange thing on the right is a capenella tree (sp?) its one of those rare soft corals that are very difficult to keep alive in captivity, so the colors in that pic are very accurate of the real thing.

hopefully twon8 will post pics of his "GPE's", as they have recently developed a light blue rim around the green center which is pretty kewl ;)

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... I haven't taken any pics lately. I have to pimp my old one of the DF.

DSCN1014DF.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 65 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back