Show Off Your Large Tank Aquascape :)

Ed Menard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 400 gallon predator tank initial build...I have about 7 more pieces of rock I'm cleaning to add in....one carved into a skull face:p...my idea here is to keep the front half of the tank open to allow more swimming space for the larger fish

Attachments

• 400 gal-9.jpg
    400 gal-9.jpg
    802.2 KB · Views: 576

Hawain_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think it would be ok to use cement/mortar to hold rocks together?

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think it would be ok to use cement/mortar to hold rocks together?

I just finished my second scape that use cement to bond the rock together. I purchased the cement from a local store in Orlando, Top Shelf Aquatics but the before they carried the product I purchased it from macrorocks.com. No water issues and it allowed me more freedom in forming the rock structure.

Hawain_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my second scape that use cement to bond the rock together. I purchased the cement from a local store in Orlando, Top Shelf Aquatics but the before they carried the product I purchased it from macrorocks.com. No water issues and it allowed me more freedom in forming the rock structure.

That's what I thought. I've made block walls and im sure if you use cement your rocks ain't going no where. Just didn't know if it walls reef safe. And a lot cheaper than using puddy that can be expensive...specially if you have a lot of rock you need to secure.

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought. I've made block walls and im sure if you use cement your rocks ain't going no where. Just didn't know if it walls reef safe. And a lot cheaper than using puddy that can be expensive...specially if you have a lot of rock you need to secure.

I believe the components is just Portland cement. Without any other additives. I don't use it for rock walls but as attachments from rock to rock. Giving the rock a easy transition and allowing for some rocks to attach in any direction. I also use the cement to hold rocks vertical so I don't need to drill holes for acrylic rods. It's a provides a stronger base and more versatile rock angles.

Hawain_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the components is just Portland cement. Without any other additives. I don't use it for rock walls but as attachments from rock to rock. Giving the rock a easy transition and allowing for some rocks to attach in any direction. I also use the cement to hold rocks vertical so I don't need to drill holes for acrylic rods. It's a provides a stronger base and more versatile rock angles.
That's what I'm planing to use on my 60 gallon cube build. I agree with being able to more versatile with the cement. Thank you for confirming that it is ok to use cement.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 44.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back